🔕 🔔

Pumpkin pie underdone

Just made pumpkin pie ahead to freeze then thaw and serve for Thanksgiving. I took it out when the custard temped at 175F like the recipe said. I made an extra one and when it cooled I cut a couple slices to test only to find that the custard was not quite set and the crust is underdone. Is it possible to reheat on Thanksgiving to finish the coking or is it too late once the custard has cooled?

asked by Thao Hau about 4 years ago

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

I would re-bake it tonight and then freeze it. (I would be concerned that freezing and thawing might mess with the texture of the underdone custard.)

D39ea0ef 3b05 498d 93d7 70059f78f9ef  1351359553 403785

Thanks for the help. I did end up throwing it back in the oven last night. The custard did come out looking much better, but I'm not confident about the crust. Oh well. Better luck next time. Pies have never been my strength, but I will keep trying! Thanks again.

926ee962 060e 44e6 a1d9 878262f34bf8  image

You could break up the pie into champagne flutes and top off with whipped cream a dash of cinnamon and a gingersnap. Now it looks like you did it on purpose. :)