What's the difference among rum, sherry, and brandy?

I'm still in high school (quite underage), so I don't know much about liquor.
A few recipes that I'm planning to make this Thanksgiving asks for alcohol (such as the "Creamy Butternut Squash Soup with Sherry" and the "Pear, Brandy, and Walnut Cranberry Sauce"), but I only have aged Zaya Rum in my house. I was wondering whether these recipes would taste fine with rum substituted (or white wine?), or if it'd be better to simply omit the alcohol.

asked by Rachel C. over 4 years ago

Catherine,Lamb

Sherry and brandy are both fermented wines, made from grapes, whereas rum is a totally different spirit made from sugar cane. The taste between rum and the other two is quite different, so I would recommend omitting it. Just make sure to taste and adjust seasonings before serving!

nutcakes

I would just find another butternut squash soup, there are so many variations. Sherry has a more delicate flavor than rum. I do think the rum would work well in the cranberry sauce, it goes well with fruits.