🔕 🔔

vinegar substitution?

I am making a honey dijon potato salad and halfway through see that it calls for sherry vinegar which of course I don't have. I have red wine, white balsamic, regular balsamic, pear infused, strawberry and champagne, but no sherry. How can a person have so many vinegars but not the right one? What can I use instead?

asked by Jules555 about 6 years ago

15e23675 44ea 4ae1 80be cb0741acd112  ehanhan4

I think sherry has a sweetness akin to balsamic. If you don't want the salad to look muddy, I would use white balsamic, or half wb and red wine vinegar. It depends on how much of a 'bite' you want the salad to have.

When it comes to salads, it's often about what the cook likes most.

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

I'd probably sub the red wine vinegar, using a little less than what the recipe calls for and adding to taste. Of course, strawberry vinegar sounds like it was made for salads, so that might be worth trying in it!

Thanks for the quick replies! I think I'll go with red wine and white balsamic a bit at a time and see what it tastes like.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Balsamic vinegar is a good substitute for sherry vinegar and it is a little bit sweet. You might want to add a little salt to counterbalance the sweetness.

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

Red wine vinegar is the strongest of the ones you listed, but since there is honey in the recipe as well, that would counterbalance it some.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

I sometimes sub in half real sherry and half wine vinegar.