Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

Rolling out pie dough

I plan to roll between two sheets of plastic. Do I flour the disc first?? On both sides? I have an Emil Henri fluted deep ceramic pie plate. How much larger than the plate do I roll? I......don't do this very often. I was once traumatized by a pastry.

asked about 3 years ago
11a5dc99 9cd2 4f28 916e 5bee541e8aa7  400584 2795982053875 1473082837 n 1

Yes! Flour the first sheet of plastic, put your dough down, and then flour the top of it. Roll it out so it's around 1 1/2 inches bigger than your pie plate. You got this! And remember if it gets too warm, you can just put it in the fridge and come backto it.

C7e463f8 c3dc 4220 8e2c 3913de4dfb39  sadcookie
figgypudding

Kate is a Recipe Tester for Food52

Pie dough can be intimidating, but don't worry. You've got this. Here are some tips from the Baking Goddess, Dorie Greenspan, that I hope will help (she always helps me):
~Lift the sheets often, so that they don’t fold into the dough and create deep creases.
~Turn the dough over frequently. You do this so that the dough is pressed evenly all over, but also so that you decrease the creases.
~If your dough is really soft and sticky, flour both sides of the dough before you start rolling.
~Keep the dough between the sheets when you chill it and use the sheet to help you turn the dough over into the tart pan or pie plate.
~If you’ve used parchment and you’re going to pre-bake the crust, use the paper to line the crust.

Read more tips from her here: http://doriegreenspan.com...

As for size, I would roll it about two inches bigger than the pie pan. That way you can trim without stretching (stretching equals shrinking).

Best of luck, and have a happy Thanksgiving!

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I generally lightly flour both sides of the disk before rolling out. Use a string or piece of floss to measure from the edge, down the side, across the bottom, and up the other side to the edge figure out the diameter of your circle. Just roll the dough out about an inch past what you come up with. Take a few deep breaths, and tell yourself you will not be traumatized by pastry ;-)

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Hi Creamtea, I usually measure my pie plates with a flexible tape measure. Kind of lay the tape measure inside the plate, then add an inch or two for dough overhang.

I like to flour everything...the board, the dough, the rolling pin. After every roll, turn the disk a quarter turn, to get a roundish shape.

Good luck!

Thank you both! (Creamtea, thanks for the laugh during a break that needs some humor.) I couldn't remember if flour was needed when rolling out the dough between plastic wrap or parchment.

I was once attacked by a pie. It tried to blind me, several times, with squirting blueberry juice, like an evil squid.

Do you pie experts think it's OK to let the pie dough sit (unrolled) in the fridge overnight, or better to roll it out after it's made and line the pie pan right away? Am using the Cooks Illustrated "fool proof vodka" recipe which I've used before successfully. Just not sure I can finish the whole pie tonight along with everything else.

figgypudding

Kate is a Recipe Tester for Food52

Hi Pegeen,

I'm also making the fool-proof pie crust, and the version I have says that you can leave it up to two days in the fridge before rolling. Good luck!

Thanks, Kate! Happy Thanksgiving.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Thanks you all! Pegeen, that's very funny.
I tried to roll it out but it's too dry and it cracked a bit and also I didn't get it big enough so I may have to start again. It was Kenji Alt's (?) recipe I know I don't have the name quite right but not the vodka one. It made two discs and I test-baked a small portion last week before freezing. I should have made one of the discs larger for this particular pie plate.

Creamtea, the Pie People here will no doubt help you. I know a little and it sounds like your gluten has shrunk. (Meaning, you can toss out your Spanx! Yay!)

If you're hard-pressed for time, and have enough dough left for a top crust, just do a top crust, with a pretty edge if you have enough dough, or one or two dough leaf cut-outs for decoration, brushed with egg wash and sprinkled with some sugar. There was a good column here on pie decorations. Will try to find it.

Here it is:
http://food52.com/blog...
You could do some of these decorative pie borders without a bottom crust. Maybe a crumb topping if you think the top feels too naked without the sheets pulled up.

Just made another crust, I 1-1/2 timesed the vodka one. It's s'posed to be a pumpkin pie, so I think I need a bottom crust.
"Anyone up for my free-form pumpkin galette?"

Creamtea, sorry, didn't realize it was pumpkin and therefore didn't need a top crust. I'm sure it will be delicious!