The exclusive Italian nonstick from Ballarini the pros swear by. Shop now »
🔕 🔔

My mom used to make either Danish pastry or croissants for christmas breakfast. My 16y/o daughter is interested in continuing the tradition but doesn't want to be up much of the night re rolling, shaping, etc. Is there a way to do this so that the shaped pastry rests overnight in the frig?

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

Would you and your daughter consider using frozen puff pastry? I'll do almost anything from scratch, but wouldn't feel bad about a little shortcut here. Or maybe she could tweak the family tradition by making cinnamon rolls. They could rise in the fridge overnight.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

If it's a traditional Danish yeast pastry dough with butter folded in and rolled out several times, the answer is yes, if the dough will NOT be filled, as for croissants. You can shape the croissants, place then on parchment-lined baking sheets, wrap them in plastic (I put each sheet inside a 13-gal. trash can liner) and refrigerate. This will also work if you're making Danishes with a blob of filling on top of a square of dough.

If the dough will be filled, as in a braid, the better option is to wake up early in the morning to shape, fill and let the dough rise. My experience has been that cold filling weighs down the bottom of the dough, but allows the top of the dough to rise; after baking, even if the dough is allowed to sit at room temperature for an hour, there's a huge gap between the top of the dough and the filling. It still tastes good, though.

The dough can be refrigerated for up to four days before the final shaping.

72b8c92f c97c 49cf 8fc2 4b08462521f6  me

The doughs are similar and differ in ways that make them different. Most people find it easier to make Danish dough but both take patience and skill that probably require making the dough several times to get the hang of it. Your daughter will have a skill that many people don't have and the end product is worth it.

I also recommend frozen puff pastry. That is something that is really made well. I would rather use the time and effort making something else that is special, that really calls out for making from "scratch".

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

We're going to try the from scratch refrigerate overnight method. My brother sent the Danish recipe and I have the croissant recipe from Paula Peck's The Art of Fine Baking. Daughter's pick. Will keep u posted. Thanks for the ideas and encouragement!! It's tradition ...