What are your favorite ways to use cassis? I have a bottle of the stuff and not much knowledge of what to do with it.

asked by Rivka almost 8 years ago

healthierkitchen

the only thing I've ever done with mine is to make Kir and Kir Royale drinks (mixed with white wine and champagne, respectively). I bet there are recipes for a syrup to put over fruit, etc. though.

gigiaxline

Italian soda with a splash of lemon. More of a summer drink though...

I use it in vinaigrette. http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Rivka

Interesting mrslarkin! I will defo try that -- thanks for the tip.

I haven't tried it - but I bet it wqould be a great jam addition - maybe a plum jam or if you could find fresh currants ...

lastnightsdinner

I'm a huge fan of the Vermouth Cassis: http://www.esquire.com/drinks/vermouth-cassis-drink-recipe

Rivka

that sounds awesome.

Most often, my Cassis goes into a Kir; but in the summer, I make a super easy berry puree (fresh raspberries and/or strawberries, lemon juice, sugar to taste depending on the berries' sweetness) and I sometimes throw a good glug of Cassis in there - gives it a beautiful jewel-like color and a nice kick. It's great over vanilla panna cotta, bread pudding, even just drizzled on store bought ice cream.

Rivka

amysarah, I think I need to be less timid; I've thought to add it to berry puree in the past, but was concerned it would mask the fruit's flavor. I'll think again when summer rolls around.

betteirene

Ina Garten often uses cassis. Here are a couple of links. I think she is required to use cassis in four recipes in each of her cookbooks (just joking, I think).

http://www.culinate.com/books/collections/all_books/barefoot_contessa_back_to_basics/plum_crunch

http://www.foodnetwork...

Ages and ages ago, like maybe 20 years, I was working on a recipe for a cheesecake with a swirl cassis of through it, and I discovered that it had already been done. I'm not sure if it was in Gourmet, Bon Appetit, or Martha, but somebody beat me to it. If I find it, I'll send it to you.

And (shameless plug) Amanda has reprinted a recipe for Cassis and Vermouth in her new cook book, "The Essential NYTimes Cook Book." You should buy it. : )

Jon Palmer

Frozen fruit, some sugar, orange juice, and a good splash of cassis can make for a nice little hot fruit sauce to throw on some ice cream. It can be thickened with a slurry of a little cornstarch and some of the juice.

Rivka, you're right - you do need to be somewhat judicious with the amount of Cassis, or the berry flavor could be overwhelmed with the alcohol/currant taste. Just add a little at a time until you hit the balance you like. (If there are kids eating, I'll usually reserve some of the puree without the Cassis for them.)

Rosemary's Baby

I absolutely love my Silver Palate cookbooks. The ladies use creme de cassis to soak blueberries in with lemon peel the night before making a blueberry-lemon pie and then use the extra liquid with tapioca as your thickener.
I've made this and it's outrageously, sinfully good!
Wonder what other fruits would be good soaked?

nutcakes

I mix it with jam or jelly and glaze a plain french style Yogurt Cake with it.