Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

69f046d0 d356 49e5 81a3 16c871a66e46  img 0028 1

I am trying to make a black bean sauce for my wife, as she has coeliac and most pre-made sauces contain gluten.
I have purchased a bag of dry salted black beans from our local chinese supermarket but dont know how to prepare these (do I soak them?)
Any recipes for a black bean sauce using this type of bean would be grateful.
Thanks

asked by dickyboy about 6 years ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

They are the same as fermented black bean. The sauce in this recipe seems to get good reviews. http://www.epicurious.com...

I just smash them with a fork and a drop of water or two per teaspoon full of them. No soaking is necessary with the ones I use. I don't usually make a separate sauce. I just stir them into whatever sauce I'd be making in my wok (usually consists of tamari and a touch of rice wine or sherry, assuming aromatics consisting of some kind of onion, garlic and sometimes ginger have also been used; cornstarch slurry added if necessary, i.e., if meat wasn't marinated with enough cornstarch to make the sauce thick enough, or lo mein water + starch isn't enough). Love fermented black beans. ;o)

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

Cornstarch is the best thickener for this type of sauce. It should yield results that are closest to something you'd find in a restaurant.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

In his book, The Best Recipes in the World, Mark Bittman has several good recipes using them. The one for pork ribs braised with black beans and garlic is especially delicious. In some recipes you just rinse the beans; sometimes in others that call for sherry or Chinese wine (Shaoxing), you briefly soak them in that before adding. Good stuff. (By the way, remember to seal the bag well and store in fridge and they'll last a long time - since most recipes only call for a couple of tablespoons at a time.)