over cooked black beans - what to do?

First time working with black beans and they are woefully overcooked.

Simmering on the stove and still hard as, well dried beans, so I go out and feed the sheep. When I get back, they are mush!

What does one make with black bean mush?

I'm not really in the mood for hummus.

Just soaked beans and water, so no flavour to them yet. Something yummy for lunch would be great. Have leftover rice and lentils also in the kitchen.

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

asked about 4 years ago

Maybe some soup? Too hot here for soup, but maybe not where you are. Filling for tacos, tostadas or enchiladas?

Mollie Katzen in her Moosewood cookbook has a marvelous Brazilian black bean soup with oranges, cumin, coriander & a bit of sherry (my guess is it's a vegetarian riff on Feijoada). Here it is on epicurious http://www.epicurious.com...

M.McAwesome

Burritos! If you have eggs you could make some great breakfast burritos and freeze them for later. I like to put peppers and onions in with a little bit of cheese and the beans and eggs into a large tortilla. You could also just do beans and cheese which amazing to me right now. Eat one for lunch then wrap the rest in plastic wrap or foil and put in a freezer bag. Freeze for a great snack! Search around on the internet for other ingredient ideas or make up your own.

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Cheese and beans sounds very much what I'm craving. Never had a burrito before, off to google what it is. I wonder... if I just grated some cheese in with the beans and put it in the oven till the edges are crispy? I think it would need some spice and sauce... maybe.

M.McAwesome

Yes I think it might need some spice... I like Jilhil's suggestions below. This sounds good served over rice or even smeared on toast! Yum!

And here is a really simple breakfast burrito recipe that is similar to the formula I use: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/01/freezer-breakfast-burritos/

jilhil

I'd make a version of refried beans - sauté chopped onions and garlic together in oil until they're soft, then add the beans and cook until some of the unwanted moisture is cooked out. You can add chili powder, red pepper or cumin and oregano to spice them up. When you like the consistency serve them over your brown rice with some chopped fresh tomato.

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

oh, yummy! Never made that before as I'm still new to the whole world of beans. Always wanted to try it.

Make brownies, http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

AWESOME!
I was just thinking the beans smell like chocolate. Do you think I could just add the beans to a regular brownie recipe or do I need to do the gluten free thing?

Use the recipe link in my original comment. I wouldn't add black beans to any ol' brownie recipe.

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Love the link, just too many allergies in that recipe. I have a regular flour brownie recipe I can make, just thought maybe the beans would add a nice texture instead of being the main body.

Never had a burrito before? Here's Food52'er pierino's easy guide to making them without a recipe
https://food52.com/blog...