can i sub anise seed for the fennel seed in Sagegreen's latkes?? I know it's here in the dark recesses of my spice cabinet, but Lord know's where I put it. Or should I just skip the spice altogether and move on? My grated roots are waiting...

asked by mrslarkin almost 8 years ago

Nora

I hope and trust Sagegreen will weigh in. I can feel for anise seed, and also cardamom. Post results, please.

okay, I went with celery seed, which has a much subtler flavor than the very licorice-y anise seed. Smells fantastic so far. Will let you know!

prettyPeas

Now you made me want celery seed latkes.

They taste really great!

thirschfeld

I am pretty sure celery seed would be great in them and it looks like you already answered that question. I would have gone for some pernod.

for serious thirschfeld?? Because you know I happen to have a bottle of Pernod. And rum.

thirschfeld

Or any other licorice flavored alcohol, fo sho.

thirschfeld

Maybe 1/2 tsp.