🔕 🔔

Substitute for Star Anise in Whole Slow Cooker Poached Chicken

I have anise seed and I have Chinese 5 spice powder. Can I substitute one or both of those for the star anise in Nicholas Day's Whole slow cooker poached chicken? I am making it today and my whole foods is completely out of star anise. If I can sub, what are the appropriate amounts/ratios?

asked by Kelly Anderson over 3 years ago

Anise seed and a pinch of 5 spice is a good substitute. I'm not familiar with the recipe, but I would use a 1/2- 1 tsp of the seed per each star called for in the recipe.

From a cookbook I have right by my side: 1 crushed star anise = 1/2 teaspoon crushed anise seed) OR Chinese five-spice powder (contains star anise and other spices)

two other ways to think of this. Star anise is usually used in Thai or Chinese cooking, so go for those flavors (even if not exactly the same). Also, star anise, while sharing a name with (regular) anise, is a sharper, some say richer flavor. So include something sharp, like (more) fresh black pepper, Szechuan pepper or a little fresh chile pepper.