🔕 🔔

I'm fixing something that calls for dill seed, which I thought I had in the spice drawer, but I don't. From the dill family, I've got anise, fennel, and coriander seed. Does anybody have a feel for what the best substitute might be? This is for a vinegar-based dressing for a cucumber salad.

asked by mscheevel over 6 years ago

Aa0aef2d aae3 438c a22e 1340af35ed29  face hat underpainting 1

I wouldn't worry about matching the dill, just choosing which of those that you have you like best. Why not cut a little slice or two of cucumber and put a little of each spice on a bite, then taste it. Go with what you'd like best. [I think I'd enjoy the coriander, as a contrast to the cucumber, but that's just me.]

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Yow, this is a stumper. I grow pretty nearly all of them but I can't think of any other herb that has the faintest taste or smell of dill. When you open a packet of dill seeds before planting, the smell kind of wafts up and then wallops you in the head. None of my other seeds pack that kind of pungency unless the seed coat is broken . Maybe caraway, but it's smell is faint, not potent. I'd do what the QoS suggests and pick something you like and that will go well with the vinegar. (I vote for fennel.)

Yeah, dill's pretty unique. Anise and corriander don't ring right for me, I'd try fennel, or maybe tarragon. Fresh if you have it, or dried. But I'd second the idea for taste testing and going with what you prefer.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

It's probably closest in flavor to caraway seeds. Do you have those? If not, any of the three you have will probably work. But as the others say, let your taste buds be your guide, and use it only if you like it!

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

I agree with mrslarkin on caraway seeds but celery seeds might be a closer match.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Do you have any dried dill (dill weed)?

Take a look at the Cucumber Salad link above: Merrill uses caraway seed with dill weed. Sounds great!