I'm fixing something that calls for dill seed, which I thought I had in the spice drawer, but I don't. From the dill family, I've got anise, fennel, and coriander seed. Does anybody have a feel for what the best substitute might be? This is for a vinegar-based dressing for a cucumber salad.

asked by mscheevel almost 8 years ago

Queen of Spoons

I wouldn't worry about matching the dill, just choosing which of those that you have you like best. Why not cut a little slice or two of cucumber and put a little of each spice on a bite, then taste it. Go with what you'd like best. [I think I'd enjoy the coriander, as a contrast to the cucumber, but that's just me.]

betteirene

Yow, this is a stumper. I grow pretty nearly all of them but I can't think of any other herb that has the faintest taste or smell of dill. When you open a packet of dill seeds before planting, the smell kind of wafts up and then wallops you in the head. None of my other seeds pack that kind of pungency unless the seed coat is broken . Maybe caraway, but it's smell is faint, not potent. I'd do what the QoS suggests and pick something you like and that will go well with the vinegar. (I vote for fennel.)

RobertaJ

Yeah, dill's pretty unique. Anise and corriander don't ring right for me, I'd try fennel, or maybe tarragon. Fresh if you have it, or dried. But I'd second the idea for taste testing and going with what you prefer.

It's probably closest in flavor to caraway seeds. Do you have those? If not, any of the three you have will probably work. But as the others say, let your taste buds be your guide, and use it only if you like it!

I agree with mrslarkin on caraway seeds but celery seeds might be a closer match.

Do you have any dried dill (dill weed)?

Take a look at the Cucumber Salad link above: Merrill uses caraway seed with dill weed. Sounds great!