Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

Ham question....

I'm an experience cook but I rarely "do" ham. What's a good basic ham to get? Honey Baked? Costco imitation? Trader Joe's? I am open to suggestions. Thanks!

asked by Pat in SoCal almost 3 years ago
Deac5e85 ab6c 4739 826e c35688e6f154  l1020855

In my local groceries,Cook's ,Smithfield,and Luster brands have all baked well for me. I buy butts and shoulders,not spiral cut, low sodium when I can find them and never miss the salt.Smoked hams are plenty salty on their own.I bake them 20 minutes a pound at 325 degrees in an open turkey pan. I also try to stay in the 10 pound range . The choices of uses for leftovers makes it my favorite roast,especially during the holidays. Good luck!!!

684fdbdf 5442 462f 8495 e3c8a2cb0649  stringio

Look to see if you have a local butcher shop/meat processor and get a local one. If you can't find one easily, check localharvest.org to find nearby local farmers who will either have a ham or will know where you can find one. Otherwise, you're supporting the worst animal welfare practices. Also, spiral cut sounds like a great idea, but the meat will dry more quickly if you're not careful.

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Agree w both answers above. Remember to glaze the ham (score the fat). I use some kind of fruit preserve with whisky and mustard. Cloves and pineapple look pretty but the clove is overwhelming and the pineapple a little insipid.