🔕 🔔

I am mixing the batter for Chocolate Ginger Cookies. There is no salt in the recipe. That just seems very odd. I am inclined to add salt, although I am not sure how much. I am going to look at a few other cookie recipes and wing it. However, I am curious. Do you have cookie recipes that don't call for salt?

asked by bella s.f. about 7 years ago

all the recipes for Chocolate Ginger Cookies I have call for 1/2 tsp of salt.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I like salt in all my cookies. I think you'd be fine adding about a 1/2 teaspoon of salt.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Some people use salted butter and reduce or eliminate salt in the recipe, but if you do that, you don't have control over how much salt there is. I would use unsalted butter and 1/2 tsp of salt in a standard recipe that uses 2 cups of flour and makes about 36 cookies.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Two of my shortbread recipes don't call for salt and specify unsalted butter--they're just flour, butter, sugar (granulated or brown) and sometimes nuts. I never noticed it missing in those recipes.

Sorry--hit the "send" button too soon.

Where did the recipe come from? I trust very few on-line recipe sites, and will not use a recipe from them unless I'm sure it has been professionally tested. Even though I no longer have to pinch pennies the way I did when my six sons were here, I don't like to spend even $5 on a batch of homemade cookies that are just "okay." I hate when that happens. food52 is the only site with user-generated recipes that I trust--usually, if there's a reason for something, it'll be spelled out by the thoughtful cooks here.

Here's the link to the recipe from a Cookie Madness/Schell Cafe/Four Seasons route. http://www.cookiemadness... I think that I am selective in what I choose to make. I have a fairly good sense of how something will turn out, perhaps not exactly how it will taste, but whether or not it will be something that we will like. I think that as we evolve as cooks, dare I say chefs, we develop pretty good instintcts.

I grew up always eliminating the salt from cookie recipes. It's mostly a flavour thing, not a leavening thing I believe, so cook's choice. However, now that I'm (more) grown-up, I've come to understand that, like with any cooking, salt really helps to bring out the other flavours, so especially in a recipe like this I think you ought to add a bit!