sour cream problem

i mistakenly put container of sour cream in freezer instead of fridge when unloading groceries. i thawed it last night in fridge. will it be okay to use? taste okay? function the same etc?

asked by mcd2 about 5 years ago

Should be fine. Lots of fat, so it's rather forgiving.

CookOnTheFly

What are you going to use it in? Depends on how much fat is in the product.

mcd2

not sure what its for yet-bought as staple. it's curdled and separated into whey and tiny curds. i stirred it and it doesn't mix back into previous form. package doesn't give fat percentage.
any suggestions? it's 16 oz carton.

petitbleu

I would say it should be fine for cooking purposes, and most likely for using as a topping. While separation did occur, the flavor shouldn't be disagreeable (of course, you're in a better position to verify this than I am!). Try making a sour cream pound cake or using it in pancakes. Or, for a savory use, make a dip with it and caramelized red onions.