🔕 🔔

Blueberry Pie topping

I am making a blueberry pie for guests coming tonight. The recipe suggests topping it with whipped cream. I have sour cream, and do not have whipping cream. Can I sweeten the sour cream just a little bit, maybe with some lemon zest and use that as a topping of will it be weird? I can get whipping cream but the sour cream was bought for a recipe I didn't make so has no designated use and I would be happy to use it up.

asked by C Sangueza over 1 year ago

80a2b32b 19d9 462f aa60 00e50e1bd51e  image

You can use sour cream, for sure. If you add brown sugar to sour cream it tastes amazing. It's a combination that works really well with fruit based desserts, or even just a bowl of berries, so it should be really good on your blueberry pie. Good luck!

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I think it would be better to make a dip with the sour cream and go by some whipping cream. You put all that effort into making a homemade pie, why risk it?. It won't whip the same or taste the same.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Berries topped with sour cream mixed with a little brown sugar is a great quickie dessert - we do it often in summer. I don't see why that combination wouldn't work well on blueberry pie too.

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I guess if you like sour cream , just not my favorite.

I agree with IvoryGalNY and AmySarah...sour cream & berries is a classic (good) combo. But maybe some of your guests share Phil's not-liking it. So make the sweetened sour cream, but serve it on the side...that way, everyone can be happy.
PS Do you have vanilla ice cream in the house? Another option...

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Thanks for the backup Nancy HA! Doesn't sour cream also whip differently? My Mom make a great cheesecake with a sour cream layer on top. I always eat around the sour cream

F92231df 227e 4486 9cc8 279621ca1481  harvest party

Thanks all. I will try the brown sugar and sour cream on the side. I am not planning to whip it as it is already thick. I do have vanilla ice cream which is my husband's favorite so that's a brilliant idea.

I stirred brown sugar into the sour cream and I thought it was fantastic, just barely sweet and a little tangy. The guests brought vanilla ice cream and that was the more popular choice.

Thanks for telling us how your blueberry pie was received.
If you have leftovers, the family can eat it any way you want...
And, like cold pizza, it makes a lovely - if decadent - breakfast ;)