former Community Editor

Erik Lombardo's eggnog recipe (http://food52.com/recipes...) seems more balanced. Your variations sound promising too!

Erika Kotite
Erika Kotite

Erika is the founder of Toque magazine and is guiding us through classic cocktails from A to Z in the Booze52 series.

What about an eggnog smoothie? You could then blend in crushed ice, yogurt etc. which will diminish the sweetness but keep in the rich experience of the original! (I haven't actually tried this but I'm going to...)

petitbleu

Earl Grey sounds lovely! Even a chai tea concentrate would give eggnog a great deal more depth.

Big G-man

Mexican eggnog called rompope... must use Mexican cinnamon and Mexican pure vanilla extract. easy to get online.

What about making a Tom and Jerry? See http://www.americanfoodroots.com/50-states/holiday-drinks-bring-back-the-tom-and-jerry/
Or perhaps experiment, replacing some of the cream with almond milk or coconut milk.

or you could make it with whole milk, no cream... I might sub out rice milk for some of the cream (because I REALLY like eggnog when the cream is whipped and folded in).

LE BEC FIN

I actually really liked the result when I spiked my diet A&W Root Beer with eggnog!- very similar to my root beer float with rum raisin ice cream!