🔕 🔔

Need to supply smoked quail eggs for a Victorian Christmas feast. I have a Burton stove top smoker and want to use a tea-smoke.
HELP ! Put raw eggs in ...and how long before they are hard cooked. 10 minutes? 5 ? Maybe I should go to the folks house and use their Weber ? Any tips on making the peeling easier?

asked by [email protected] almost 7 years ago

693453b7 7e84 4b19 b610 d1ec77bbc42d  halloween

Hmm- We have had them smoked after they were boiled and peeled . . .more like this: recipes.com/chinese_egg_recipes/smoked_quail_eggs_recipe.php
Is it possible that yours could be smoked after cooking? I would think they would taste more smoky that way . . .

Certainly I can smoke after boiling. I just thought cooking them by smoke would result in more smoke flavor.

I just went to recipes.com website and signed in. They only have a Yahoo search bar which does not result in giving me any recipes..only website. So do you have a formula for tea-smoked quail eggs ? Thanks

4fa8f6fd a181 41aa b4e7 be25efd9ec07  100 0039

Martha Stewart has a tea smoked egg recipie here: http://www.neis.biz/pamneiscreations...

The recipe below is from this website: http://www.chinesefood... (I haven't tried it)

Chinese Recipe : Smoked Quail Eggs

Ingredients:

30 quail eggs
6 cups water
4 star anises
1 ½ tsp salt
2 tbsp dark soy
½ chicken cube
1 tbsp sugar
Sesame oil for coating
Ingredients for smoking:

1 tbsp red tea leaves
2 tbsp brown sugar
Garnishing:

1 cup shredded lettuce
½ cup shredded carrots

Directions:
Place the quail eggs into a 2 quart saucepan with 3 cups of the water and slowly bring it to boil, covered. Remove the lid and continue to boil for 2 minutes. Take out and place under the cold running tap water for 10 minutes and shell for later use.
Discard the boiling water and put the remaining 3 cups of water into the saucepan. Add the star anises and salt to simmer for 20 minutes then mix in the dark soy, chicken essence and sugar to cook till dissolved. Turn off the heat and leave aside to cool for 20 minutes. Soak the eggs in the sauce for an hour. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain and coat with the sesame oil.
Line the wok with tin foil and sprinkle the tea leaves and brown sugar on top. Put in a rack and warm the wok with moderate heat until smoke rises. Arrange the eggs on the rack and cover to smoke for 15 minutes. Remove. Place the quail eggs on a plate lined with the shredded lettuce and carrots. Serve.