can i make mashed potatoes with russet potatoes?

• Posted by: gin
  • December 9, 2010

phyllis
phyllis December 9, 2010

Yes. Make sure you add enough butter & cream or milk as they can be a little drier.

iuzzini
iuzzini December 9, 2010

Or buttermilk, sour cream or chicken broth. We used russets for thanksgiving and then we made pierogie dough and filling with the leftovers! They were perfect for this purpose too. :)

latoscana
latoscana December 9, 2010

Of course! All those additions work: butter, milk, cream, and/or chicken broth. Add as you mash - but start with smaller amounts and keep tasting to avoid getting gummy or soupy potatoes.

pierino December 9, 2010

In fact you SHOULD use russets for mashed potatoes. Break out the chives and start cookin' the bacon.

Pat E. in SLO
Pat E. in SLO December 10, 2010

I'd never use anything else! Drain them well, mash them dry and then slowly add butter and 1/2 and 1/2, salt and pepper ...mixing with the masher...until they are fluffy. Don't whip them over work them or they will get gluey. It's the most basic and the best!

bella s.f.
bella s.f. December 10, 2010

As you can see, the answer is an overwhelming "Yes!". I know that it might sound like a lot of work, but I have cooked different types of potatoes (golds, Russets, red, etc.) for the same dish, (eg. mashed or roasted potatoes), and then compared the taste/flavor/texture, etc. of the different types of potatoes. It is interesting, fun, and a learning experience.

RobertaJ
RobertaJ December 11, 2010

Absolutely ! They're the only kind my mother ever used. I occassionally use Yukon Golds for mashers, but the "waxy" new potatoes (small ones, usually red or white, or labeled "fingerlings") will never work. They turn gluey. For mashed, you need the starchier kind like Russets or Yukons. The waxy ones are best for potato salads and steamed/boiled potatoes, not for mashed, baked or latkes.