🔕 🔔

Homemade Preserved Lemons- Olive Oil?

I've noticed some recipes for preserved meyer lemons call for olive oil..what would be the purpose of adding olive oil?

asked by kelly wood almost 4 years ago

I guess to act as some type of preservative, but most recipes I've seen just require adding lemon juice to top off the lemons in the jar. There's a lot of info in this older Hotline thread about the recipe (without olive oil) from Paula Wolfert's cookbook, Foods of Morocco.
http://food52.com/hotline...

Here's a little video on this site that shows you how easy it is... all you need is lemon, salt and a jar. (Nice holiday gift.)
http://food52.com/blog...

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

It is, I believe, the Sephardic (Jewish) version. My friend who married a Sephardi fellow did it that way, but following Paula Wolfert, I make with only salt, lemons and juice. Either way is fine.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I have always been successful with lemons, salt, lemon juice and water. However, my ex mother in law (Italian) would put a layer of olive oil on top of anything in a jar to act as a preserving barrier.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

I keep mine refrigerated and there is so much salt that I don't think any other preservative is needed. I suspect it's a personal preference just as adding spices or cinnamon stick. I don't add the olive oil because it solidifies in the refrigerator.

81c6be86 7f15 412c 895c db14f14bd2f0  ak 120405 012

Thank you so much for everyone's responses! As Pagine said it would be a nice holiday gift..I wanted to go ahead and share my pictures with you that I gave the girls in my family for Christmas! I used organic Meyer lemons with raw Himalayan sea salt that contained no anti-clumping agents to keep out any extra chemicals!! Thanks again! -Kelly

7be03f29 b80e 482d 903b 14e9b092fe64  photo 2

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Kelly - They are gorgeous! Well done.