What are you serving for Christmas dessert?

I need some inspiration!

asked by lloreen over 4 years ago

figgypudding
figgypudding

Kate is a Recipe Tester for Food52

Hi lloreen, I wanted to make something i can do ahead of time, but is still really impressive and absolutely decadent, so I'm going make midge's burnt caramel pudding: http://food52.com/recipes...

It's heavenly and oh so easy. Best of luck, and happy holidays!

Dona

I'm making white chocolate cheesecake topped with caramel sauce.

pat
pat

I still want pumpkin pie. However I just make the pie filling (any recipe) in a greased casserole and avoid the high calorie crust. Goes over well with kids who don't like crust.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Chocolate Cream Pie with fresh whipped cream...it's amazing!

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

This year I am making Tiramisu for my sister in law's bday and bread pudding or my brother in law's bday. A ew year's ago I made a kumquat cranberry trifle with gingerbread.

Kathy

I'm making Robert Redford dessert. The pan goes home empty every single time I make it !

What is "Robert Redford dessert"? Thanks.

mrathmel

Homemade Italian cookies to go along with the big Italian meal for 33 :)

bamcnamara

apple pie, blueberry pie, ice cream, coffee cake, jello and whipped cream!

kimhw

Flour less chocolate cake. Make the batter ahead. Only takes 8 minutes to cook. Hot, gooy, yummy.

savorthis

I am making the caramelized pear cake from Bi-Rite: http://www.epicurious.com.... It looks beautiful and is great with toasted crushed hazelnuts and vanilla ice cream.

I'm serving a cookie plate containing 15 varieties of cookies I made over the past three weeks.

A friend gifted me with a dozen Meyer Lemons from her tree so I'm making a Lemon Tart with Candied Lemon Slices. Extra good because I can make the Lemon Curd (Alice Medrich's Genius Recipe here on food52) ahead of time, as well as candy the lemon slices. Then on Wednesday I'll bake the tart crust, fill it and chill until dinner time. [One little secret I learned from a pastry chef in Lyon is to frost the crust with melted chocolate and let it dry before adding the lemon filling. It's a taste surprise.]

bigpan

We like to wait a couple hours, then have turkey sandwiches !
But on another note we had an Eastern dessert that was simply a plate of peeled and sliced navel oranges, drizzle with honey, sprinkle with pomogranate arils and a dusting of cinnamon. Light and refreshing. (and save the sandwiches for midnight)

bigpan, laughing about the turkey sandwiches. There was a tradition in my family for decades. You'd serve the main beast (crown roast of whatever, turkey, etc.) with all the trimmings and sides. When my grandfather had polished off most things, he'd push back his plate and bark the order, "Now bring out the leg of lamb." It was a joke, after such a full meal, but he sort of meant it. We called his bluff a few times. His laughter at that was the best present. (And believe it or not, people ate it.) I can never hear "leg of lamb" without thinking fondly of him.

A plate of juicy oranges and pomegranate arils sounds refreshing and colorful, like a sorbet between courses.

Because we have such a big group, we have to go full-freight: Buche de Noel, Poached Pears in Wine for those who don't like chocolate cake with meringue woodland bits, mince pie (for a certain generation), raspberry tart. A lot of Cointreau whipped cream on the side.

Lloreen, cherries flambé over vanilla ice cream is a lovely desert for Christmas. This is mine but you can find plenty of recipes on the web:
http://food52.com/recipes...
It's much easier than my description - sorry, I tend to over-write things. I just didn't want anyone to set their kitchen cabinets on fire. A great, festive dessert.

p.s. Frozen pitted cherries are fine, just thaw them. Canned cherries are fine if they're in syrup or water, drain them. But not the kind of cherries in syrupy goo for pie filling.

cratecooking
cratecooking

Susan is a Recipe Tester for Food52

We're more of a fruit dessert family than chocolate or pastry, so a nice Apple, Pear and Cranberry Crisp is on our menu!

Emily Weinberger
Emily Weinberger

Emily is a Recipe Tester for Food52

Hi llorene,

I LOVE this recipe and its a real crowd pleaser. Makes for a fun presentation too! http://food52.com/recipes...

lloreen

All of these sound so fabulous, I wish I could have a traditional southern French Christmas Eve with 13 desserts!

Alg13

I am making Chocolate Chip Cookie Brittle, Fruit Salad with a Champagne Dressing and either Walnut Crescents or Ricotta Cookies

cookinginvictoria

We are making arielleclementine's wonderful chocolate stout gingerbread cake with pear cider cream cheese icing! http://food52.com/recipes...

Lloreen, the 13 desserts traditional in Provence are actually mostly dried fruits and nuts, with one spectacular dessert as the centerpiece.

CurioCook

I'm making the Elote Pay de Chocolate - it's a southwestern chocolate mousse type pie with an almond graham cracker crust. So easy but a huge crowd pleaser!

lloreen

I know, Chef June, but one can fantasize......13 cakes, pies, and custards at midnight. It sounds like something out of a fairy tale.

Christmas dinner means a chocolate dessert around here - bittersweet choc tart, flourless choc cake, various semifreddos, or mousse. This year I'm doing Merrill's Chocolate Mousse with Cointreau and Chocolate Shards, with a dollop of whipped cream (will let it set up in my grandmother's pretty deco glasses.) Subbing Grand Marnier for Cointreau, since that's what I have on hand.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

This year we are doing a big roast and a lot of food and will go light for the dessert - meringue, strawberries and whipped cream.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Maple buttermilk custard pie.

Laurie

Cranberry blueberry shortcakes with homemade biscuits, lots of fruit and lots of whipped cream!

fmacmac

Crushed Raspberry Creams. - Jamie Oliver recipe. Light (ish), easy, v. pretty, Christmas colors.

bonbonmarie

We all--me, mom and sisters--all make our holiday specialties: cookies, biscotti, fruitcake, tartlets, etc. When we put all our cookie contributions together, we have a big, delicious assortment to enjoy after the meal. Seems like after Thanksgiving, everyday seems so full of filling food--especially sweets--and by Christmas none of us wants a heavy dessert. The cookies hit the spot, and we can experiment and try new things to share each year.