🔕 🔔

Baking Time for This Shortbread?

I think i baked this shortbread an incorrect length of time because it is very crumbly. Can you advise?
The recipe calls for :
1/2 lb butter
2/3 cup conf. sugar
1 c. combo AP and white whole wheat flour
1 c. cocoa
2 T. ground coffee
The original directions were for twice this amount, pressed 1 1/2 inches high in 8" round pan.Bake 13 minutes.

13 minutes just seems so short; i pressed it into a 10" fluted metal tart pan where it was about 1/2" thick and i baked it for 19 minutes.Major goof maybe?

Do you have a shortbread recipe with these kinds of ratios of butter, sugar and flour/cocoa ,and 1/2 inch high, and how long do you bake yours? Thx much for your help.

asked by LE BEC FIN almost 4 years ago

Here is my recipe: http://thesolitarycook... I use equal amounts of powdered sugar and AP flour, as well as 4 ounces more butter. I'd suggest you use that much also, and perhaps reduce the amount of whole wheat flour to 25% of the total flour. It could definitely be baked longer; I'd start with 20 minutes, then add more time until the shortbread just begins to go golden across the top. Even with the amount of cocoa you are using, you should be able to perceive browning. Before you set the pan in the oven, be sure to dock the dough all over with a fork so that steam can escape; not doing so likely contributes to the crumbliness you've experienced. And slice it as soon as it comes out of the oven when it is at its most tender.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

cynthia ,
i appreciate that. I did finally find a same-ratios recipe as my recipe and it is from dorie greenspan (except instd of 1/2 c flour and 1/2 c cocoa, she uses 3/4 c. flour and 1/4 c. cocoa, plus the 2/3 c. conf sugar and 2 sticks butter, and she adds an egg yolk(do you think that is for better binding the dough?) She cuts 1/2 inch slices from a roll, and bakes 12-15 minutes. so for this recipe as it is, i'm thinking i should follow her timing, don't you think? And follow your timing when i make your recipe? I must say, the difference in baking times really befuddles me. Can't figure the reasoning......

cynthia, if my math is right, our 2 recipes have the same ratios. your sugar is 1/3 of your flour (1 c. of 3 c.) and my sugar is 1/3 of my flour (cocoa incl as flour) (2/3 c. to 2 c.) Your butter is 3 sticks for 3 c flour and my butter is 2 sticks for 2 c. flour(incl cocoa.) so it's really the same recipe except that yours is 1/3 bigger than mine. So i can't figure out why the baking times are so different, can you?

The cocoa adds a significant amount of fat. When you press shortbread into a pan, it's pretty dense, and is going to take longer than 13 minutes to bake. I'm guessing that it's nothing more than a simple error.