Uses for a trimed Silplat type baking sheet.

I got silicon baking sheet for Christmas. It's for a full sheet pan size. My oven isn't that large--So, I'll trim it down to half sheet pan size. What would be a good use for the trimmed bits?

asked almost 5 years ago

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Hi Sam! Don't cut your Silpat, you risk getting fiberglass particles into your food. Here's a link to the manufacturer's website discussing this issue http://www.silpat.com/faq.html

It's not a silplat brand. But another brand. Can't find the exact brand..but one like this:
http://www.crateandbarrel...

I don't see any those long fibers could get into food when the cut side is on the edge of the mat. I know I"ve seen some chefs using silpat cut to size for something on TV---but can't remember the application.

LE BEC FIN

i cut in half my sheetpan sized silpat so i could cover 2 half sheet pans with it. no problems.

cookbookchick

Have you considered exchanging it where it was purchased?

bigpan

Regardless of the brand - do not cut. I have used my silpat for about ten years. They are great. Re-gift the big one and buy a small one to fit your needs.
Also, look around this spring for a silplat like item that is actually a coated wire mesh - same silicone coating. Use it on the BBQ so small things (prawns, cut up veg) do not fall through the grate.
Or, is it time for a larger oven and sheet pan ? (joking, maybe)