🔕 🔔

Uses for a trimed Silplat type baking sheet.

I got silicon baking sheet for Christmas. It's for a full sheet pan size. My oven isn't that large--So, I'll trim it down to half sheet pan size. What would be a good use for the trimmed bits?

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Hi Sam! Don't cut your Silpat, you risk getting fiberglass particles into your food. Here's a link to the manufacturer's website discussing this issue http://www.silpat.com/faq...

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

It's not a silplat brand. But another brand. Can't find the exact brand..but one like this:
http://www.crateandbarrel...

I don't see any those long fibers could get into food when the cut side is on the edge of the mat. I know I"ve seen some chefs using silpat cut to size for something on TV---but can't remember the application.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

i cut in half my sheetpan sized silpat so i could cover 2 half sheet pans with it. no problems.

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

Have you considered exchanging it where it was purchased?

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Regardless of the brand - do not cut. I have used my silpat for about ten years. They are great. Re-gift the big one and buy a small one to fit your needs.
Also, look around this spring for a silplat like item that is actually a coated wire mesh - same silicone coating. Use it on the BBQ so small things (prawns, cut up veg) do not fall through the grate.
Or, is it time for a larger oven and sheet pan ? (joking, maybe)