Anchovies smell like ammonia?

I’m cooking, sautéed garlic olive oil and anchovies, the anchovies seemed fine, I even ate one before I put them in and it tasted great. All seemed fine until I put in breadcrumbs. As soon as I stirred the breadcrumbs in a breath-taking smell of ammonia came from th pan. Could it be bad anchovies? Should we eat it? (The anchovies are Ortiz filet )

asked by B Gilbertie about 2 months ago

added about 2 months ago

Quick web search tells this ammonia smell is a sign of decomposition & to avoid eating.
Maybe check a few articles and read for yourself.

Big Pot
added about 2 months ago

How old are the breadcrumbs?
https://food52.com/blog...

added about 2 months ago

My basic rule of thumb is always "When in doubt, throw it out." Far better to be safe than sorry.