Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

For a potluck, the entrée is Shepherd's Pie. I'm to bring a side. The obvious side is a salad. I would love some not-so-obvious suggestions for a side dish. Thanks!

asked by DebJ almost 6 years ago
E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

How about a variation on a salad? Thinly slice peeled citrus fruit (pink grapefruit, oranges, clementines, blood oranges if you can get them) and serve on a bed of arugula. Top with thinly sliced fennel, chopped fennel fronds, possibly some crumbled cheese (ricotta salata?), salt, pepper and a sharp vinaigrette.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

This is really delicious: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Here's what I'd bring -- a roasted beet and carrot salad.
It's not-so-obvious, but people love it.
You really need to use a food processor with its grating blade to grate the roasted carrots. You can also change up the acid and herbs, if you like. I made it with lemon and parsley instead of lime and mint recently, and it was delicious. ;o)

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Like drbabs, I'd also think citrus salad - one I do frequently is thinly sliced oranges (blood oranges add great color, if you can find them), on a bed of some kind of green - a scattering of endive helps, strewn with thin red onion slices, crumbled feta and chopped kalamata olives. All you need is a simple vinaigrette. Another fruit-ish/seasonal salad I like is thinly sliced ripe juicy pears, over arugula, topped with shavings of parmesan, maybe some toasted walnuts and a vinaigrette made with sherry vinegar, dijon...a splash of walnut oil if it's handy. Either one would be a nice contrast to the rich earthiness of a Shepherd's Pie.

3a07161a c04e 4fa1 b28d 18a97a109314  img 7662

I had an amazing salad at a restaurant here in Philly that would be perfect side: pretty colors, nice textures: Shepards pie does tend to lack crunch & snap and this will balance out beautifully.

Not sure of the exact recipe but here are the components:

Finely julienned lacinato kale (raw) tossed with a pistachio pesto
Roasted beets (red & yellow) marinated in orange/honey/olive oil/lemon (probably some pictachio oil in there was well), with orange supremes
Creamy goat cheese...

The way it was served was: goat cheese spread along the base of the plate, beets & oranges piled on top of the cheese the whole thing covered in a flurry dark green shiny kale ribbons

It was a divine treasure hunt.

I might take one of those raw broccoli salads. It is crunchy and popular at potlucks with all ages, it's a type of slaw. I like to make one with grapes and sunflower seeds and I omit the bacon. http://www.food.com/recipe...

I also like salads with oranges this time of year and Mollie Katzan's Morrocan Orange-Walnut Salad with radish, onion, romaine and spinach is big and fresh and juicy. That would really go well. http://www.globalgourmet...

14b11c12 6b95 4986 8177 06182a5401bb  sleepin rache circa 92

Sauteed Brussel Sprouts with Toasted Almonds and Chopped Bacon!
(fry up some bacon in a pan then chop, toast sliced almonds in the bacon pan and remove for later. marinate quartered brussel sprouts in olive oil salt pepper and herbs of your choice, then sautee on medium high heat in the same pan you made the bacon and almonds. Toss all of the ingredients and voila!)

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

I've had a shredded Brussels sprouts salad/slaw with a tart mustard dressing and lots of celery seed that was good (and it's odd for me to use "good" and "Brussels Sprouts" in the same sentence). Have intended to suss out the dressing ingredients via some experimentation, but haven't gotten to it.

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Pierino is also in the brussels sprouts camp but his criminal mind is also thinking about baked beans in some form, but also something in the pea family. You need something sturdy and not lettuce leaf like.

D640141f 822f 4a52 856d b12de6fadb9f  dinner

Wonderful ideas, everyone. I've definitely got some great choices here. Thanks for taking the time....

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

aliwaks' salad sounds amazing! I was also thinking kale. Melissa Clark has a great raw kale salad if you are looking for an easy dish to make:

http://www.nytimes.com...

I love roasted beets with my favorite bleu cheese of the moment, toasted walnuts, and thinly sliced purple onion. I sometimes add pear or apple. I like citrus & Dijon vinaigrettes, which I pour on the beets while they are still warm, after slipping off their peels and chunking them. That flavors the beets beautifully and often the beets "dress" the rest of the salad. I sometimes serve it over greens, sometimes not.

I have seen avid "I don't eat Brussel sprouts." people, converted after tasting this. In a cast iron skillet, lightly brown in olive oil & butter, or bacon fat, slices of garlic. Take them out. Add halved Brussel sprouts, cut side down. When crisp-tender and starting to brown and carmelize, add pinenuts. Add the garlic slices back in, just before serving. There are times when this hasn't made it to the table. It has gotten eaten straight out of the skillet.