🔕 🔔

What's your current favorite fruit or vegetable side dish?

I need to bring a fruit or vegetable side dish (that's not a salad) for a potluck at my daughter's school and am in search of fresh inspiration. Has to be nut-free and okay at room temp. Ideas?

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

asked over 1 year ago

Ah, that's a tough one, this time of year, given how little there is locally available, other than beets, lettuces and greens . . . . . I imagine your choices are even more limited. The fennel looks great here now, so I'd consider making my Florentine Fennel. For your crowd I might dial back on the cheese, resisting the temptation to throw on Asiago and Pecorino Romano -- though my son at that age (the same son who requests this dish at Thanksgiving and every other occasion possible) actually liked the stronger cheeses even then.
Wondering if you could get away with this, even though it's technically a salad: cucumbers, cut/seeds scraped out/drained/patted dry/ dressed in a light sesame oil and cider vinegar dressing (+ pinches of sugar and salt + ground pepper) with a few bits of julienned carrots and blanched snow peas added for color, with roasted sesame seeds generously sprinkled on? My boys loved that! Or if you can get them, snap peas blanched and lightly tossed with the same dressing and sesame seeds. Or blanched and tossed with a cider honey mustard ;o)

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

This is one of our favorites and is wonderful served at room temperature:
https://food52.com/recipes...

F1531b55 0ce5 4282 9176 a43980607475  image

Hey! My favorite thing right now is new potatoes, boiled, with halved, steamed green beans. Douse with butter that's been heated with minced garlic. Stir in chopped dill, parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice to taste. It's pretty salad-y, but I don't really count it as a "salad."

A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

Cauliflower cut into florets or sliced, roasted at high heat with oil and salt (450C+), tossed with any number of seasoning mixtures near the end or after it's done (parsley+garlic+fennel seeds+chopped olives+lemon, ras-el-hanout, preserved lemons+harissa for example). Ottolenghi's Plenty also has a great cauliflower dish that's intended to be room temp with saffron, onions, raisins, and olives.
It's mango season (ok, in South/Central America, but still, this is when they're best in N. American markets too) -- mango, cucumber, jicama, pineapple and other raw things that are good with Tajín? Or mango + sticky rice if something more dessert-like works.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

I am completely in love with the Gjelina roasted yam dish. I use Garnet potatoes. Every time I serve this the crowd goes gaga. http://cooking.nytimes...

PS - the last time I served it a 2-year old ate it. There is a little spice, a little heat, and a little sweet.

GsR

How about sweet and sour caponata?

I'm loving Ottolenghi's butternut squash with sweet spices and lime from Plenty. It's really at it's best at room temp. You may want to adjust the spices for your audience though. Not sure how many kids love cardamom.

My other addiction is roasted yellow beats, turnips, New potatoes with preserved lemons. I usually cook chicken thighs on top of them after browning them, but they'd be good on their own. Salt, pepper and olive oil is all I use.

And whole or half cloves of garlic with the roasted beets, turnips and new potatoes.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Whole Green beans, lightly blanched...chilled and dressed with a vinegrete and Parmesan cheese before serving.
==
CousCous with parsley, and peas or carrots...dressed with a lemon olive oil dressing. Or asparagus and cherry tomatoes.
---
A rice salad with mandarin orange slices is one that stands up to travel and room temp.

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

Black bean and corn salad. So easy. Depending on how many you want to serve, I use one can of black beans, a can of corn (you can also use frozen corn), one green pepper diced, one stalk of celery chopped, Good Season's Italian Dressing, salt and pepper. Drain and rinse the vegetables. Mix everything together and add the dressing 'to taste'. Have made this many times for parties and it is gone in a blink. Good luck!

4a083130 eb2e 4a68 b45c a06e1f8b9409  beancornsalad

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

So many great ideas for me to work into our regular repertoire well beyond the potluck -- thanks all!

7c4e3778 a9ef 4b22 a4b5 bb759212c530  dsc 6356

I love french beans sauteed with fresh or frozen coconut with some mustard seeds tempered in oil, pinch of turmeric, dry red chillis, tbsp of moong dal and curry leaves, salt. Its called beans poriyal. Easy and quick to make and tasty at room temperature. You can remove the chillis and curry leaves once it is cooked.

PistachioDoughnut that sounds so tempting. I've copied / pasted for future use, soon. Thank you. ;o)

This sounds so good!! Can't wait to try it.

This time of year, hands down it's Ragout of Peas & Artichokes. https://food52.com/recipes...

I recommend a rice pilaf like this one, http://cooking.nytimes...

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Made this a couple of weeks ago: http://smittenkitchen.com.... Super tasty and spring-y!

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Fresh asparagus spears with hollandaise.

Fava beans are just coming into season. They are damn hard work but well worth it.

Southern collard green with ham hock.