🔕 🔔

where can I buy food-grade beeswax?

I'm trying to tackle a recipe for canelés, and I'd like to coat the molds with beeswax (ideally without feeding myself too many additives and such). I've looked online (e.g. amazon) and the closest I find is "cosmetic grade" beeswax. Apparently Marshall's Honey also sells beeswax, but the minimum per order is $35. Any leads?

asked by rynnybit almost 4 years ago

Did you search for "organic beeswax"? I've seen plenty of websites that sell it and there's always eBay.

Where do you live?

I've seen organic beeswax, but because "organic" doesn't necessarily mean "food-grade" or "edible" (in other words, I don't think all organic things are edible) I've held off on getting them so far. I live in Florida; perhaps I just need to ask beekeepers at the next farmers market. But so far, Whole Foods and Earth Origins – nope.

You can always contact those online vendors and ask if their beeswax is food grade or suitable for consumption.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I think the beeswax they sell at Ruhl Bee Supply is edible (it's filtered, but not bleached and 100% beeswax), but to be certain you'd need to contact them. A 1 lb block runs $7.50. http://www.bee-outside...

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

If all else fails, You might take another look at the Marshall's site and see if there aren't some other things you'd like. Those California honeys make good gifts, and it shouldn't take too much to get up to $35.

618e01c3 87dc 4045 9da5 6e076ba3af1b  fb avatar

I did some internet research and found this company - http://www.beeswaxco.com/

Beeswax is common in cosmetic lip products so I do not think small amounts of cosmetic grade beeswax would be an issue.

marshallshoney.com has foodgrade beeswax by the pound, 1 pound minimum.