🔕 🔔

Can you substitute clover honey for buckwheat honey, or is the difference too great?

asked by MollyEAdams over 6 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Buckwheat honey is a dark, rich, less sweet honey. If you're going to sub, I'd probably mix molasses and clover honey to get a closer approximation.

Ec30261f e677 492c 9ab6 670678db31fd  dscn3372

Which do you want to use? They function the same, but clover honey is much milder, and so tastes sweeter than buckwheat. It really depends what you are making and if you want a strong honey flavour. For a spice cake, I'd go with buckwheat, but if it's something light, like a panna cotta, buckwheat will be very strong. If you're recipe calls for buckwheat, go ahead and sub clover, but not always the other way around. Hope that helps!

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

If you're doing the short ribs recipe, as I did recently, I mixed about 2 tbsp molasses (not blackstrap) with regular honey. Worked just fine.