Just for fun:kitchen resolutions.

What are your culinary resolutions for 2014?Something you will try to eat,cook or change in your kitchen...

mensaque
mensaque January 5, 2014

I just can't postpone anymore,I need new pots!In Brazil we have a saying:"Panela velha é que faz comida boa!",or "Old pots make better food." and I kind of agree with it but it's getting ridiculous,I cut my finger last friday making pasta cause my pot had no handle!Besides that I'll try to make better looking cakes,cause mine taste good but look like hell,and I'll try to go easy on the sugar...chocolate,thy name is sin!( I did not think this through,cause if I'm gonna go easy on the sugar how am I gonna improve on the cakes?New year's first dilemma.)

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich January 5, 2014

I recently put all of my spices in labeled canning jars stacked on open shelving in my kitchen. I am really enjoying the convenience.

bigpan
bigpan January 5, 2014

My annual kitchen resolution is to remember to "claw" when I use my chefs knife and stop slicing pieces of knuckle and finger tips off.

petitbleu
petitbleu January 9, 2014

I hear that.

MTMitchell
MTMitchell January 5, 2014

Being more organized. We bought a freezer for the basement. No more making big batches of stuff, cramming them into our kitchen freezer and forgetting about them. I even labeled each shelf.

kimhw
kimhw January 6, 2014

That was last years resolution. It changed my life. Keep a tally on your smartphone. Know what you have in there. Then when your market is having a sale on something you can determine if you need it or not.

kimhw
kimhw January 5, 2014

I'm going to try a new recipe or a new food at least every other week. I wanted every week, but some weeks are just too busy to stray from your tried and trues.

Bill F
Bill F January 6, 2014

I'd like to learn how to can foods.

kimhw
kimhw January 6, 2014

That was two years ago! The best advice I was given was to do small batches your first year. That way you learn your techniques and if you really like a recipe!

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich January 7, 2014

Bill - kimhw gives great advice re: small batch canning. I once made 30 lbs. of pickles, yes you read that correctly, that I didn't like. I find small batches to be the best, at least until you know what you love. Also I recommend the book, The Joy of Pickling. Her recipes are great! Lots of luck.

susanm
susanm January 7, 2014

To finally submit a recipe to one of the contests...and i just did!

sexyLAMBCHOPx January 8, 2014

I need to clean out & organize my kitchen cabinets and drawers. I have so many things that I don't use and take up so much space and keep the other items away from a convents space. Ugh, anyone want to help, lol?

Voted the Best Reply!

Sam1148 January 8, 2014

Make more sauerkraut. Shop at the local Mexican Mart for meat and veggies. Don't buy any more cook books until I go through my collection again. Don't buy any more gadgets or Dishware--except at a thrift store. Learn to budget leftovers better.
At least once every two months save up for a 'high end' luxury dinner to make at home. Seared Tuna, Prime Rib, Lobster, good halibut, freshly whacked on the head trout, etc.

bigpan
bigpan January 8, 2014

Keep the resolution we started a couple years ago...Friday night is Italian night, Sunday night is comfort food (stews and shepards pie stuff). One night is a new recipe, one night is go out (although we often let that slip by in order to simply stay home). One night is use something from the freezer. etc.

M.McAwesome
M.McAwesome January 10, 2014

One: To actually start recording the few recipes I come up with on my own. And even start sharing them here.
Two: To keep bringing my breakfast and lunch to work. Stop eating out for those meals to keep cost and calories/processed foods at a minimum. I tend to enjoy them more because I don't have to waste my time driving to the deli or wherever to get food and then rush back before my lunch break is up.