This isn't exactly a time-sensitive pickle, but can anyone recommend a good Thai cookbook? I'm looking for pretty standard recipes like you'd get in a good restaurant, nothing fancy, but I'd like them to be reliable. Thanks!

asked by ErinH almost 8 years ago

I have one that is definitly a beginner Thai book, but I love it - The Beautiful Cookbook - are those even still in print? It's a cookbook / coffee table book almost. There is a whole series of them ... ah yes - you can order from Amazon of course!

http://www.amazon.com/Thailand-Beautiful-Cookbook-Panurat-Poladitmontr/dp/0002550296/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1292245113&sr=8-1

Peter
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

Erin-

Take a look at this booklist (on my book recommendation site) -- it has 3 different excellent Thai cookbooks:

http://www.flashlightworthybooks.com/Accessible-Southeast-Asian-Cookbooks/335

Happy holidays!

-Peter

@ Peter--what a great site! Thank you for sharing it!

Peter
Peter

Drbabs, glad you like it. Now if only I could wrestle a cookbook of food memoir list or two out of the Food52 community. ;-)

nutcakes

Check out the website of the It Rains Fishes author. You can try some of the recipes and see if you will like her book:
http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/

Ophelia

I'm not sure it's really what you're looking for because it's pretty big and not entirely basic, but look through a copy of "The Food of Thailand: A Journey for Food Lovers" some time. It's gorgeous and part of a really nice series of cookbooks with great pictures, interesting information and really delicious food.

Gale

Nancie McDermott"s "Quick and Easy Thai" written for Americans - something you would want to eat after all that work