🔕 🔔

Can someone let me know what the pickled chilies are that you get in Thai restaurants? Would love recipes to make at home too...

asked by idorunyc357 over 7 years ago

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

Most likely Thai "bird" chilis. They are short, narrow and nasty hot. But they are easy to grow if you live in pepper growing climate and can find starts.

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

I wonder if you're thinking about nam pla prik (or nam prik pla). it's thinly sliced or whole Thai bird chilies in fish sauce. There's also prik dong which is thinly sliced or whole Thai bird chilies in rice vinegar. In either case: chilies into a jar, cover with fish sauce or vinegar (a little if you're after chilies, by an inch if you want more liquid for drizzling. Keeps 1-2 weeks in fridge.

Meant to say - if you can't find bird chilies, substitute another thin-walled, super hot chili from your market. I've used thinly sliced jalapenos and serranos and while the flavor wan't identical, it was better than nothing!

6d812419 52db 4fe8 983a 4431d769882e  rattlesnake ridge me glenn 08.28.10 001

If you want that "Thai experience" at home just take some veggies and something spicy (jalapenos, peppers) and brine them in 1 part salt, 3 parts cane sugar, and 1 part fish sauce for about 48 hours.