🔕 🔔

Can I use a Pickle Crisp product instead of pickling lime?

I'm experimenting for the first time with zucchini pickles and all the recipes seem to call for pickling lime, which naturally I do not have in my stores. Does anyone know if I can omit the lime but instead add the Pickle Crisp upon canning? Thank you!

asked by ukimmeru about 4 years ago

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Pickling lime (calcium hydroxide) should be available at your local Mexican market where it's known simply as "Cal" but the process is laborious and dangerous if you don't get it right. Ball's Pickle Crisp (calcium chloride) is safe and easy to use.

You can read a little more about firming agents here:
http://nchfp.uga.edu/how...

Efb8e45b e2cc 45bf b555 5f4811196493  headshot

Thank you!