Can I use a Pickle Crisp product instead of pickling lime?

I'm experimenting for the first time with zucchini pickles and all the recipes seem to call for pickling lime, which naturally I do not have in my stores. Does anyone know if I can omit the lime but instead add the Pickle Crisp upon canning? Thank you!

asked by ukimmeru about 5 years ago

ChefOno

Pickling lime (calcium hydroxide) should be available at your local Mexican market where it's known simply as "Cal" but the process is laborious and dangerous if you don't get it right. Ball's Pickle Crisp (calcium chloride) is safe and easy to use.

You can read a little more about firming agents here:
http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/prep_foods.html

ukimmeru

Thank you!