What can I use as a substitute for jalapeno in tortilla soup?

• Posted by: peach49
  • January 14, 2014

pierino January 14, 2014

Is your concern about the "heat"? Jalapenos are comparatively mild in the spectrum of peppers. Just be sure to scrape out the seeds and ribs. You could substitute the long, green anaheim chile.

sexyLAMBCHOPx January 14, 2014

Half the amount of Serrano chiles

pierino January 14, 2014

Serrano chiles are on the same Scoville level as jalapenos; "5". Anaheim peppers are only at "2".

peach49
peach49 January 14, 2014

I was not clear, I do not have any on hand, it is sleeting out and I don't want to venture out if I don't have to

pierino January 14, 2014

I feel your pain. Too late to help now, but my pantry staples always include diced green chiles. I especially like Hatch brand. You might find that you just want to mix some into your scrambled eggs in the morning or lay a foundation for a breakfast burrito.

sexyLAMBCHOPx January 14, 2014

Oh, do you have any jarred chipotles, piqillo or roasted red peppers at home? Maybe use one for flavor. tortilla soup can be delicious & forgiving, if not authentic without the jalapeños, IMHO. If you need some heat add some chili powder? If its color and crunch minced green peppers?

jilhil
jilhil January 14, 2014

In that case, I'd use cayenne or any other hot red pepper you have in your spice cupboard to add the heat. I'm totally with you on not wanting to go shopping while it is sleeting outside.

Pegeen January 14, 2014

Crushed red pepper.

Pegeen January 14, 2014

peach49 - p.s., that is, the kind of regular old crushed red pepper, dried, in the spice aisle of the grocery store.

peach49
peach49 January 14, 2014

thanks so much everyone, I went with the crushed red pepper and it is fine. I am going to make sure I have some canned chiles for future emergencies!

kimhw
kimhw January 14, 2014

I keep dried chilis for this sort of situation. My husband works emergency response, so he is gone during any major weather events and sometimes for days after. And I cook nonstop while he's gone. My freezer is packed after a small storm.

I have learned to keep some strange ingredients invade a recipe takes me in a new direction.

Dried chili peppers, dried mushrooms, a variety of frozen fruit, veggies and even dairy. Many frozen herbs from my garden. A variety of grains and different flours. I have been known to make tortillas for soup in some bad storms!

Yes, I cook when I'm nervous. My string told me to stop. I find it productive, so I got a new shrink. All cooking it good and healthy!

cookbookchick
cookbookchick January 14, 2014

I agree, kimhw, cooking can be very therapeutic.