What can I use as a substitute for jalapeno in tortilla soup?

asked by peach49 over 4 years ago

Is your concern about the "heat"? Jalapenos are comparatively mild in the spectrum of peppers. Just be sure to scrape out the seeds and ribs. You could substitute the long, green anaheim chile.

Half the amount of Serrano chiles

Serrano chiles are on the same Scoville level as jalapenos; "5". Anaheim peppers are only at "2".

peach49

I was not clear, I do not have any on hand, it is sleeting out and I don't want to venture out if I don't have to

I feel your pain. Too late to help now, but my pantry staples always include diced green chiles. I especially like Hatch brand. You might find that you just want to mix some into your scrambled eggs in the morning or lay a foundation for a breakfast burrito.

Oh, do you have any jarred chipotles, piqillo or roasted red peppers at home? Maybe use one for flavor. tortilla soup can be delicious & forgiving, if not authentic without the jalapeños, IMHO. If you need some heat add some chili powder? If its color and crunch minced green peppers?

jilhil

In that case, I'd use cayenne or any other hot red pepper you have in your spice cupboard to add the heat. I'm totally with you on not wanting to go shopping while it is sleeting outside.

Crushed red pepper.

peach49 - p.s., that is, the kind of regular old crushed red pepper, dried, in the spice aisle of the grocery store.

peach49

thanks so much everyone, I went with the crushed red pepper and it is fine. I am going to make sure I have some canned chiles for future emergencies!

kimhw

I keep dried chilis for this sort of situation. My husband works emergency response, so he is gone during any major weather events and sometimes for days after. And I cook nonstop while he's gone. My freezer is packed after a small storm.

I have learned to keep some strange ingredients invade a recipe takes me in a new direction.

Dried chili peppers, dried mushrooms, a variety of frozen fruit, veggies and even dairy. Many frozen herbs from my garden. A variety of grains and different flours. I have been known to make tortillas for soup in some bad storms!

Yes, I cook when I'm nervous. My string told me to stop. I find it productive, so I got a new shrink. All cooking it good and healthy!

cookbookchick

I agree, kimhw, cooking can be very therapeutic.