Are cupcakes over yet?

God I hope so. It's like having Carrie Bradshaw inflicted on you over and over again. I'm sure a dumb new fad with a cracking and peeling gloss of sophistication will arrive soon. Hopefully kale chips will vanish quickly.

• Posted by: pierino
  • January 15, 2014

thirschfeld
thirschfeld January 15, 2014

yeah, now it's all about cronuts and cragels

Pegeen January 15, 2014

The cupcake cafe in our town is still booming. (Sorry, Pierino.) Maybe we're just hicks. :-)

ChefJune January 15, 2014

Dear me, I hope so! I am so not into fads. Not interested in cronuts, either.

ZombieCupcake
ZombieCupcake January 15, 2014

While a full size cake is far superior in flavor, texture, presentation, and etc. Cupcakes can typically be more conveyant in some situations, less to utensils to carry and you can plan on how many servings you need per guest.

bigpan
bigpan January 15, 2014

I'm lucky I have not a had a cupcake since I was a toddler. However, on the local news a couple days ago they featured a new cupcake shop...Mister Cupcake - who specializes in "man" cup cakes. Carrot cake with bacon shavings on top. Bourbon flavored cupcakes.
Right ! I see a bunch of guys sitting around the screen watching Super Bowl talking about the best cupcake, and which shampoo gives better sheen and thickens split ends.
If I'm going to have "cake" it will be big, layered, have icing, and leftovers will be in the fridge for a snack at midnight.

MTMitchell
MTMitchell January 15, 2014

I think the fad could cool down but I hope the cupcake place near my office stays open. There's a lot to be said for a cupcake's ability to break up a bad day and for bringing minis to afternoon meetings (people seem more easy-going when there are treats available and full-size cakes seem awkward for non-birthday related meetings...).

sexyLAMBCHOPx January 15, 2014

Burritos... Pathetic attempt or revelation for the common sandwich.

pierino January 16, 2014

Further evidence that folks on the East Coast don't understand the concept of the burrito. That's why you can't find a good one there if you can't comprehend it. Considering that New York's nearest frontier is with Canada I can grasp that confusion.

Gibson2011
Gibson2011 January 15, 2014

The cupcake fad has lasted longer than I expected it to, despite a brief attempt by the macaron to oust it. I keep waiting for decent/delicious pie to become widespread. I'll probably be waiting a while and keep making my own.

Voted the Best Reply!

amysarah January 15, 2014

Cupcakes aren't going anywhere - they may stop being a fad, but their children's birthday party application long predates - and will go on - when its the fad of yesteryear. As well it should. Personally, I'd rank the cupcake pretty low on the scale of disturbing things "inflicted on" us these days. As my grandma would have said: "that should be your worst problem."

Bevi
Bevi January 15, 2014

Hardly a fad. http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/spring07/ayers/history.html
http://www.foodtimeline...

boulangere January 15, 2014

Whether or not they are my favorite thing to make is beside the point. Clients request them so often, that I've honestly very much enjoyed giving in to the demand and developing beautiful decorating designs, along with many flavor and filling combinations. Demand + supply = income.

boulangere January 15, 2014

And please let me say thank you. With Valentine's Day in the near future, I feel a blog post in the offing.

TobiT
TobiT January 15, 2014

A few months ago I read somewhere that "pie is the new cupcake."
And then just last week I read that "eclairs are the new pie."
Which makes me wonder: What will be the new bacon?!

susan g January 15, 2014

Demand, supply, and large profit margin. Like coffee. I'm with amysarah's grandma.

boulangere January 15, 2014

Yes, susan g!

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks January 16, 2014

And I am very fond of kale chips. Maybe hand pies or tarts could be the new cupcakes? Or tiny sweet dumplings like vareniki?

creamtea January 16, 2014

I like cupcakes.

pierino January 16, 2014

Anyone remember the Krispy Kreme fad? H.L. Mencken of the Baltimore Sun once wrote "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." Mencken wrote that about 100 years ago. Has anything changed?

Diana B
Diana B January 18, 2014

It's official: Today I heard the host of "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" say that cupcakes are over. When you hear it on NPR, you know it must be true, Pierino.

pierino January 18, 2014

And there you have it, the unvarnished truth. Disappearing next, kale. Hopefully returning in a more humble form. All things in moderation. But that's not how America works.

boulangere January 18, 2014

Nope. Just today received an order for 4 dozen, half vanilla chiffon, half chocolate. At a price very worth the effort. Ever onward.

boulangere January 18, 2014

P.S. Who/what is a Carrie Bradshaw?

pierino January 18, 2014

Carrie Bradshaw (played by Sarah Jessica Parker) was a character in Sex and the City (HBO); a symbol of everything that is fleeting and fadish in American culture. Unfortunately she represents a role model (along with the male characters) that many people in our society aspire to.

boulangere January 18, 2014

Oh. I don't have a television. Happily, evidently.

Pegeen January 18, 2014

All the kids I know would not have had as happy a childhood without cupcakes. They're just a convenient form of cake that doesn't require a fork and have been around for a century or two. What's wrong with that?

Diana B
Diana B January 18, 2014

I have to agree with you Pegeen. I'm single and there's no way I'm making or buying an entire cake, but a cupcake every once in a while satisfies whatever craving I have. Bake on, Cynthia!