🔕 🔔

Is This Basically the Same as Laksa?

This terrific 52 tom hirschfield recipe is singing out loudly to me, so i plan to make it soon. I'm just curious- does anyone know if this is basically Laksa? or how is it different?
We have always loved laksa (Betelnut in San Fran. YES!)and it would be great to know i was finally making it after all these years! thx.
http://food52.com/recipes...

asked by LE BEC FIN over 3 years ago

It sure sounds like a curry laksa which is a coconut curry soup with noodles. The other type is assam laksa, a sour fish-based soup. This recipe sounds like a variation on curry laksa. Each region has slight variations on the ingredients. In my family, we enjoy a laksa made with minced cooked fish in a curry broth with rice vermicelli. I've had laksa made with ground chicken. I've seen laksa made with ground dried shrimp. The ingredient for curry laksa seems to vary from family to family as well as region to region. But the base is seems to require curry powder and coconut milk.

Coincidentally, I ate my mother's fish laksa for years before I knew it was called laksa. She always called it curry noodles, bun kheng (sp?).