A question about a recipe: Crunchy Veggie, Kale & Black Bean Spring Rolls

3eb53099 f4e0 4782 afa2 58759fcd7d57  crunchy veggie spring roll1

I have a question about the recipe "Crunchy Veggie, Kale & Black Bean Spring Rolls" from foxeslovelemons. This sounds delicious - are the sweet potatoes supposed to be uncooked?

asked by Tarragon almost 5 years ago

It does appear that both the sweet potato and the corn kernels are uncooked. That seems like it may be too "crunchy." Hopefully foxesloveslemons will reply with the answer

LE BEC FIN

since no one eats raw potatoes, i think the pota and corn are supposed to be cooked.

bigpan

Although raw shavings of sweet potato (or yam as in the photo) are quite edible, I suggest that the "french fry" size of yams have been lightly blanched or baked so they are cooked but still slightly firm to hold their shape and not turn to mush.

LE BEC FIN

i must have been channeling Taro info. That is supposed to be poisonous when raw.

former Community Editor

They are meant to be raw. I checked her blog, and she notes that the recipe was originally posted here (http://blog.naturebox.com/post/60884229503/kale-sweet-potato-spring-rolls) where she does mention them being raw.

foxeslovelemons

Hi! Sorry to chime in so late on this. I'm not sure why Food52 alerts you by e-mail when somebody comments on a recipe, but doesn't alert you when there's a question. All of the veggies here ARE raw. It may not to be everybody's taste, but I just really like crunchy things. If you cut the sweet potato into thin strips, it's actually pretty good :)

Tarragon

Thank you all for answering - I just may try the raw sweet potatoes! Very healthy dish.