🔕 🔔

What does blind bake mean (blind bake the pie crust)?

I just found a recipe for buttermilk pie and would like to try it. But I've never heard of "blind baked" in terms of the pie crust. Can anyone help the newbie out??

asked by lsgerman almost 4 years ago

What perfect instructions, Cyntia. lsgerman, the only other comment I'd add is that the reason for blind baking is to helps ensure that the bottom crust gets baked. If you add filling to an unbaked bottom crust, the moisture from the filling slows the baking of the bottom crust and the bottom crust can wind up soggy. By baking the bottom crust by itself for a short period, it gets a good head-start before you add the filling and a top crust, if you're using one.

Sigh. I meant to type, "Cynthia."