🔕 🔔

pie crust leaking butter during blind bake

I used this all butter pie crust for the first time (https://food52.com/recipes...) and while blind baking (at 425 following this recipe https://food52.com/recipes...) lots and lots of butter leaked out of the crust and hit the bottom of my oven, leading to smoke alarms blaring. I cleaned the oven and popped it back in for a second bit of blind baking at 375 with a cookie sheet under the pie pan to catch leaky butter, though now the melted butter is running into the bottom of the pan.

Is this because of the temperature? Or normal for all butter crusts? Or did I do something wrong? I have more of the same crust to use for another pie tomorrow and am trying to figure out what to do.

Thanks!

asked by Addison Kemp 24 days ago

6d438f65 0def 46c2 8b45 3bbc4fe39a45  fb avatar

Your dough was too warm. Put the other crust in the fridge and make sure it's cold when going into the oven.

And put a cookie sheet underneath just in case. :-)

63c5d57f a694 426d 89a0 e255e873443e  fb avatar

Is it possible for this to happen because the crust was TOO cold? I just realized it had been hanging out in the freezer before baking (next to the tart crust that was actually supposed to be in there...)

Thank you!

83b2f7bb 6d57 4b26 a96e f27f66b1e409  14355058 10103657439758468 7616383974552013464 n

A few things could be going on. 1) You could be overworking the butter/dough while you're mixing it, but typically pie dough comes together fairly quickly 2) The dough is getting too warm. This could be because it needs to be chilled longer between steps, or your kitchen is too warm and everything (counter, bowls, flour, etc.) are warming up the butter. 3) The baking temp might be too high.

Thank you!