Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Identifying copper cookware

I just bought a lovely copper flared saucepan on eBay and am looking for some help identifying the maker. The listing says it's probably Mauviel, but the seller wasn't sure. I feel quite sure it's not, and I'm thinking it's Ruffoni because the handle has a lovely leaf design where it's riveted to the pan. It's not the acorn design that Williams-Sonoma carries, but very similar (i.e., without the acorn itself). I'd post a photo, but all I can get off the eBay sight is too tiny to see, and I haven't, of course, received the pan yet - if you can still view the listing, it's at http://www.ebay.com/itm.... Ruffoni's site is less than helpful. Does anyone recognize it from the photo? Are there manufacturers of this sort of tinned copperware that also have decorative rivet plates? Or is there some website you know of that would help me pin the manufacturer down? Thanks so much in advance!

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

asked almost 3 years ago

I've seen some similar copper pots at TJ Maxx in the last month. I think they were from France. if you have TJ Maxx or similar nearby, you might check there. You might check Sur la Table, too.

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Thanks, Maedl. I looked at the Sur la Table website and they don't have any copperware shown that has decorative rivet plates. TJ Maxx's site doesn't even show cookware, but I'll stop by my local one next time I'm in the area to see what they have.

Isn't there a place in Brookyln that re-tins copper pots, and has been mentioned on this site? Maybe if you emailed them a photo.

Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

I looked up the old thread on re-tinning (I didn't know there'd been one!) and emailed Brooklyn Copper Cookware and East Coast Retinning to see if either of them can ID the manufacturer. Fingers crossed! And thank you all for the leads.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

You might want to consider future purchases of commercial quality copper - that is, not tinned. Look at the edge of the pot. You should clearly see that the thickness is 85+% copper, and the inside coating less than 15% ... and that should preferably be stainless or nickle. That pot will last you a few "generations".
Normally, the maker places their "stamp" name or logo along the top rim where the handle joins the pot. Do not despair if there is not one. You are buying the quality and thickness of copper along with the inside lining, not a "name".
Mine, for example have been used daily for about 40 years and are stampled "French Hotel" (brass handles, not iron).
Also, most copper is sold without lids. (Originally, the French did not use lids for anything as they reduced sauces and did not "steam" foods - which you do when you lid it.)
Be careful with tinned product - the tin will melt at high temps (and get into food?) and has a lousy taste that it gives off.
Use unlined copper bowls for beating egg whites ! You will not need any "stabelizer". Sabayon anyone ?

Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Thanks, bigpan - I learned a lot from your post. I always wondered why so much of this cookware is sold without lids. And here's my dirty little secret: I bought that pan because it was so gorgeous, I just couldn't stand not to own it! I haven't got anybody to hand it down to, so it doesn't have to last for generations.

A good online place to check is Replacements.com:
http://www.replacements...

They'll need a photo but I've always found them very helpful.

Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Thanks, Pegeen. I checked there, but they didn't seem to have any copper cookware. However, I did get a very nice reply today to an email I sent to Brooklyn Copper Cookware, which I'm going to paste in here in hopes that it may help some future copper buyer:

I can confirm two things for you: first, the tinning looks very good on this pan, if were I pressed I would say it is indeed new and has oxidized only slightly for having sat around for a while. Second, your suspicion that it is not a Mauviel pan is almost certainly correct. Even on their planished work the location on the Mauviel backstamp has for nearly a century been very reliably next to the handle. Additionally, the wall to this pan is thinner than Mauviel's tinned copper line, not to mention straight - Mauviel tooling puts a gentle curve in the wall. Finally, Mauviel brush finishes the tin interior of their pans, whereas the tin in the photos, while clearly hand worked and of good quality, various surface features suggest strongly the tin was not machine finished following application.

Elaborate brass castings such as is seen on the pan in question are more characteristic of Portuguese or Italian work, and perhaps some Spanish. The Italian vernacular also features rounded contours similar to Mauviel, while Portuguese and Spanish lines are generally straight. My bet would be that this pan originated with a small Iberian producer, but as far as a particular maker might be concerned that's about as close as I can get as small makers are legion in Spain and Portugal - Lisbon alone has 15+ small workshops producing for nearly every hardware store in the city, and few of them are backstamped.

Diana, very interesting! (And very nice of Brooklyn Copper Cookware.) Thanks for sharing this here.