What happened to Food52 overlooking Chinese New Year?

I was hoping we'd see some front page stuff. So post them here if you got them.

• Posted by: Sam1148
  • January 30, 2014

Voted the Best Reply!

sexyLAMBCHOPx January 30, 2014

Sam, I have a date set for a dumpling making party & you're welcome to come join the fun!

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN January 31, 2014

lamby, have you alrdy finalized your dumpling making agenda? I ask because i have been researching a sweet dumpling that is filled with peanut and/or sesame and sugar (the filling is major quick as opposed to others) and they can be boiled or deep fried ( glutinous rice flour wrapper), so might make a good item for your assembly party.....Anyway, if you do ever want more info, email me through my member pg. Boy, i wish i were your neighbor; i actually spent awhile last night w/ these really cool youtubes of filling and making 'rope' edges on crescent shaped dumplings!! Just amazing how fast womens' hands can be when they crochet or form dumplings!!

bigpan
bigpan January 30, 2014

Since this is a special Asian lunar year, new years is being celebrated in all Asian countries ... That mean you can celebrate with Chinese or Thai or Vietnamese or ...!
The difficulty is it falls on Super Bowl Sunday .
I am doing dim sum for breakfast and chili for the game.
Go Mariners, Go !

SKK January 31, 2014

Seahawks are playing on Sunday. Football. Marines are the baseball team.

sexyLAMBCHOPx February 3, 2014

LBF - FWIW, I made pork and vegetable and chicken and carrot kimchi dumplings with a few friends. I love doing it with someone else, we made 400, yep - 400! We ate some right away, split the loot when we were done. Easy & delicious. I have some frozen but keep popping them out to re-heat. Love them!

pierino January 30, 2014

Bigpan, the Mariners aren't playing on Sunday. You'll have to wait until April for that. The precise date of the celebration isn't exactly the same for each country (although you would think it would be). The Year of the Horse begins in China on Friday, but the lunar new year seems to have different celebration dates if you are Korean or Vietnamese or...

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN January 31, 2014

i agree, sam. They ran a dumplings contest in 2011 or so, but maybe they could run an ASIAN dumplings contest and or do a feature of some type. I don't know if you rcve enewsletters from Serious Eats, Sam, but they did a really super photo and description piece on 35 major types of dumplings, most of which we see here in Boston dim sum places. :
http://www.seriouseats...

Brette Warshaw
Brette Warshaw January 31, 2014

We actually ran some stories on Wednesday! In case you missed them: http://food52.com/blog... and http://food52.com/blog...

Catherine Lamb
Catherine Lamb January 31, 2014

Plus tworedbowls has a stellar recipe for Chinese Tea Eggs, perfect for the lunar new year! http://ow.ly/t518L

bigpan
bigpan January 31, 2014

Right, I got confused as I was online trying to get Mariners tix for this summer...obviously confused between Mariners and Seahawks because of lack of food - chinese or chilim and not living in Seattle (or USA for that matter).

Sam1148 January 31, 2014

Thanks everyone...those tea eggs are definitely on the menu. We're having friends over tomorrow so I get an extra day to think.

savorthis
savorthis February 1, 2014

Don't forget to turn the leftover tea eggs into an egg salad!

We did a big feast last night though I don't exactly have recipes since they were all cobbled together from various sources or imagination. We had spicy chicken wings, soup dumplings, pomegranate glazed pork belly with burnt tangerine and herbs in mandarin pancakes, whole fried fish, noodles in shiitake dressing and blood orange sorbet with a sesame brittle, peanut butter cookie. A fabulous pot luck affair.

amysarah February 1, 2014

I made this the other night - very good: http://thirstyfortea.com/2014/01/21/white-cut-chicken-with-ginger-scallion-oil/

To be honest, I didn't even realize it was Chinese New Year, but will now claim it was intentional! (I've had variations of this dish out and was just intrigued to try making it.)