Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

Lemons sometimes make my dishes bitter - help!

I've cooked two different dishes recently that have had lemon slices in the sauce. In one, I cooked lemon slices in hot olive oil to infuse it and then mixed it with gnocci and a few other things. The other was this incredible spatchcooked chicken: http://food52.com/recipes....

I've made both dishes and had them come out incredibly - really delicious and lemony. But I've also made both and have had a really bitter taste that kind of tastes like the peel/pith/seeds of the lemon. I can't figure out why this sometimes happens - I've taken out the seeds each time. I know I can add juice and zest instead, but it really takes away from the great browned/caramelized lemon slices that, when the dish works, are so good. Maybe the individual lemons are the problem, but I don't know how to tell when a lemon will be bad. Any thoughts?

asked by LucyS almost 3 years ago
21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

Lucy, i had that bitter lemon experience once so i never put lemon slices into dishes any more. But SOMEone will have an answer for you. the only thing i am wondering is about washing the lemon really well.. ...?

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

It might be worth trying Meyer lemons to see if they would be less strident in the dishes you've tried, since they're sweeter.