🔕 🔔

Parmesan-Why so gritty?

I just made a Lobster/Shrimp Mac and Cheese. Though I was apprehensive I used the Parmesan the recipe asked for. I grated the Parmesan fresh and used a double boiler. The cheese was accompanied by gruyere, and sharp cheddar. I mixed all of the cheeses per the recipe and slowly added heavy cream as requested. Why is my Parmesan always gritty? This is awful and a waste of money. Thoughts?

asked by epicoryian almost 4 years ago

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Typical dairy based macaroni and cheese use a roux or béchamel. Did you add flour or butter before adding your cheeses? Parmesan is usually "gritty" when grated into dishes. I usually leave the parmesan or parmesan Reggainno for a light topping at the end of bake time.

Well since I had to make a heavy cream with milk and butter because the store was out of heavy cream. It was stirred in in the beginning to keep the cheese from burning. Then gradually adding more until it was a fine liquid consistency. The first serving was gritty the second wasn't so bad. Maybe it wasp promising

Can you share the recipe? The roux or béchamel shouldn't be liquid-ity, that probably was the culprit. Did you add flour? Nothing worse than expensive fail, but was it okay to eat?

It wasn't horrible. I never like anything I cook so there's that. Here is the link.

http://www.food.com/recipe...

Hi E- I looked at the recipe and cant put my arms around it. lobster is expensive and wouldn't even attempt to make a macaroni & cheese with lobster without a proper roux or béchamel. I also wouldn't add a half of cup of parmesan because it really doesn't melt, its ret for texture and saltiness but another cheese would of been better. Here's Ina's recipe (she has yet to fail me) for her version. http://www.foodnetwork...

D141a157 7f1a 4545 988d 19dc90ad7a49  fb avatar

http://www.thekitchn.com... If it's just the Parmesan you're worried about that contains the grit here's the answer