Thinking about making Duck Confit Ravioli and filling with ricotta, parmesan and fresh herbs. Any thoughts on how to sauce?

asked by secohen almost 8 years ago

olivia t.

Duck confit is a strong salty flavor so I would go with an assorted mushroom cream sauce to add some earthy tones or a simple browned butter but you probably have plenty of fat already.

A hunter style ragu would complement the duck. Ingredients:
1/3 cup olive oil
½ bottle sturdy red wine
zest of one lemon
2 cloves of garlic peeled, and “smashed” with your knife blade.
½ brown onion, diced
1 celery rib chopped
1 branch of sage
1 branch of rosemary
2 bay leaves
A handful of juniper berries (maybe 12), ground in a spice grinder
One cinammon stick or a tablespoon of cassia, also ground
8 oz tomato sauce

Also it might be good just in a nice clear rich but not too salty broth ....

latoscana

It seems so rich and richly flavored already, I'd keep the sauce simple to showcase the pasta. A buttery sauce with a sprinkle of the herbs or even an alfredo sauce, if kept on the lighter side.

secohen

All very helpful suggestions. One thought I had was a red wine-base sauce, perhaps with some cherries to play on the typical duck and fruit pairing.

Nora

I think butter and a sprinkle of herbs, as latoscana suggested.

anyone

secohen- Great Idea on the red wine and cherries. I do a similar filling but also add golden currants and serve with a wild mushroom sauce or sometimes with a red wine and toasted shallot saucw thickened with butter. Very nice play on the sweet and savory take.