🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Lemon Curd

F6e84a0b 9ebb 4cc3 8ee2 dfca83daca1e  9256942286 9a081d947a z

I have a question about the recipe "Lemon Curd" from Alice Medrich. How would reducing the amount of butter affect the lemon curd? I just made the recipe using one less tablespoon of butter and a scant half-cup of sugar and still found the lemon flavor too masked by the butter for my tastes. All tips welcome! :)

asked by Rachel C. over 3 years ago

I've never used whole eggs in lemon curs, just yolks. That said, the role that butter plays is essential. It certainly helps the finished produce set up under refrigeration. As well, it is a perfect conveyor of flavor. As for boosting the lemon flavor, I'd suggest increasing the salt a bit, perhaps a half teaspoon. Please bear in mind that the cold flavor will differ from the warm, so feel free to tweak the salt and sugars accordingly.

Editors, yet another plea for an edit function here: lemon curD, not curs.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

Also consider adding more lemon zest at the end. It can make a real difference.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

rachel, decrease the butter or up the lemon. My suggestion is the latter and , as your very first step, grind in a mini processor the sugar and lemon zest. this works well to get the sugar infused w/ lemon.Since your sugar lemon mixture is going to be heated anyway, grind the 2 together til they get to a syrup. I would double the lemon zest as well. I used this technique in my Lemon Almond Cornmeal Diamonds:
http://food52.com/recipes...