A question about a recipe: Chinese Style Honey Hoisin Sticky Ribs

2ea192ae f6c8 47fa b886 3b2b1902dccf  image tjh3285

I have a question about the recipe "Chinese Style Honey Hoisin Sticky Ribs" from thirschfeld. What side dishes would work with this?

asked by Sauertea almost 5 years ago

LE BEC FIN

in addition to landl's smart advice about balance and texture, i would urge you to not use any soy sauce or salty elements in your starch and vegetable sides. a mix of brown rice (basmati or chewy short grain) and other whoel grains would be particularly healthy , and good for absorbing the luscious sauce. green beans, shiitakes, carrots, broccoli all could stand up to the full flavors of this entree.

Go with textures. "Steamed, Fried, Sauteed, Grilled or roasted, Braised and Raw"
The main dish is 'braised/grilled'.
So go with a counter point of slightly sauteed (stir fried) snow peas with peperflakes and sesame oil to finish. Maybe a Asain Slaw for a 'raw' element.
Steamed Dim Sum dumpings...and fried egg rolls could come into play.

petitbleu

Coconut rice (maybe add some lime zest and cilantro at the end to give it some kick) and a crispy, tart salad or slaw made with daikon (or use another crisp veggie like kohlrabi or jicama), shredded carrots, tons of chopped fresh herbs, and a lime vinaigrette.

Quick pickled cucumbers or an Asian-like slaw and sticky rice.

Chef Jason Lee

This is what I would normally serves with this protien...I make a vegetarian version but you can also add beef to it as well

INGREDIENTS
•8 ounces dried Korean sweet potato noodles
•4 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
•1/4 cup soy sauce
•1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
•1 tablespoon vegetable oil
•1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch matchsticks
•1/2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
•3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
•1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
•4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems trimmed and thinly sliced
•2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
•4 ounces baby spinach
•1 medium scallion, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
•1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
INSTRUCTIONS
Bring a large saucepan of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the noodles, stir to separate them, and boil until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water until cool. Using scissors, cut the noodles into 6- to 8-inch lengths. With the noodles still in the colander, drizzle with 2 teaspoons of the sesame oil and toss to coat; set aside.
Mix the soy sauce and sugar together in a small bowl until the sugar has dissolved; set aside.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the carrots, onion, measured salt, and measured pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion has softened, about 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender, about 3 minutes.
Increase the heat to medium high. Add the spinach and, using tongs, toss to combine. Let cook until slightly wilted, about 1 minute. Add the reserved noodles and soy sauce mixture and toss until heated through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, add the remaining 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, and toss to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with the scallion and sesame seeds. Serve immediately or at room temperature.

Chef Jason Lee

Sorry it's Japchae a Koren dish

Nothing too fussy. Steamed broccoli, gai lan, or bok choy served with a drizzle of toasted sesame oil and good quality oyster sauce.