A question about a recipe: Chinese Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Kale and Apple Slaw

I have a question about the recipe "Chinese Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Kale and Apple Slaw" from vvvanessa. If I leave out the star anise (I can't seem to find it in my grocery store), will it make a huge difference?

• Posted by: TeraO
  • February 7, 2014

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN February 7, 2014

I don't say this lightly but Star Anise is essential for a very specific flavor that IS this dish.It can be purchased in Asian markets. you could use anise seeds (a different spice altogether) but it would just not be the same. Just like soy sauce-- not substitutable. My suggestion is- make something else for now, and then find some star anise for the future.

Regine
Regine February 7, 2014

It will be good without it too. But u can instead use a bit of Five Spice powder which u ll find in the slice aisle.

Regine
Regine February 7, 2014

I meant spice aisle

Maedl February 7, 2014

Star anise is not difficult to find. It may not be in the line-up with the usual spices, so if you are at a decent-sized grocery store, ask for it.

krikri
krikri February 25, 2018

Really, it depends on where you live!

Summer of Eggplant
Summer of Eggplant February 7, 2014

I absolutely love star anise and can't imagine there is an acceptable substitute. You might try the spice section of the 'international' aisle of your regular grocery store rather than the regular spice aisle.

ChefJune February 7, 2014

There is no substitute for star anise. Anything else you would use would give the dish a very different flavor. I would wait to make this until I had some.

Chef Jason Lee
Chef Jason Lee February 7, 2014

If you have a local india market they carry a wide selection of spices and will have the anise...Also try you local asian restaurants and ask to buy a little they get in large amounts and to sell a little wouldn't hurt

Regine
Regine February 7, 2014

Five Spice powder is obviously not a 100% substitute for Star Anise but a close one. Five Spice powder includes Star Anis, cloves, cinnamon, pepper, and fennel seeds (and a few variations); however, I find that the predominant flavor is the Star Anis. Five spice may be used with fatty meats such as pork and duck as well as chicken and seafood.

TeraO
TeraO February 7, 2014

Ok I will try to look for it again at my grocery store, I couldn't find it with the spices or in the Asian food section, but I will ask an employee, thank you for your help!

bigpan
bigpan February 7, 2014

I would play with a substitute, that being adding a splash (or two) or Pernod or Ouzo. Not so much as to overpower the other flavors, but enough to make people say "hmmmm, that's nice...what is it?"