Is anyone familiar with a citrus fruit called “limaquat”?

I found limaquats on sale at the store, got a little bucket of them and ponder what to do with them now.
They look (and the name suggests this, too) like a lemon-kumquat hybrid and are unwaxed, so I’m thinking of candying them or making marmalade.
Any experience with this or other ideas?

3cae584d 4e8c 4746 a2c8 b88b9988b99f  161951 is anyone familiar with a citrus fruit called limaquat

mickle
mickle February 10, 2014

It is a cross between a lime and a kumquat and supposedly more flavor than a lime although, I have not tasted one. How about using for one or more of the following: substitute in key lime pie, a mojito, make. Preserved limaquat using a preserved lemon recipe to be used in future recipes, Moroccan shrimp, a spritzer with vodka and sparkling water, etc

lem monade
lem monade February 10, 2014

Thank you so much, these suggestions sound perfect (moroccan shrimp?!) and I might have to try out each and every one of them – just started with an after-dinner gimlet (vodka's not my poison), which is absolutely delicious. They do have a lovely balance of acid, the mellowness of lime juice and that punchy, slightly bitter flavour of kumquat zest.

mickle
mickle February 10, 2014

I forgot to add that your idea to candy them is great, too!

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN February 10, 2014

lem, where are you and where do they come from? thx

lem monade
lem monade February 10, 2014

I am in Vienna, Austria, and the limequats were grown in the region of Murcia, Spain, from where – together with southern Italy – most of the citrus sold in central europe comes.

mickle
mickle February 11, 2014

Glad you liked my suggestions; will try to find a reference for my favorite Morrocan shrimp