Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

I have stumbled upon a caramelizing technique for garlic that seems to work but I do not know why.

I place diced fresh garlic covered in barely hot oil over the burner, add two or three tablespoons of water and let it cook for 45 minutes. The garlic is soft and golden as if you put it in the oven and baked it. I must be steaming it in the oil?

asked by Louis almost 3 years ago
21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

louis, every chef i have ever asked- has roasted their garlic with a different technique. I like Julia Child's way, included in her recipe for Garlic Mashed Potatoes. Peeled garlic in unsalted butter , covered and over very low heat til garlic is very soft/smooshable. i think of it as steaming in fat. I keep frozen a container of pureed mixture to add to potatoes, soups, sauces etc.
Have you seen the Saveur video where you easily peel garlic by palm-banging a garlic head, putting the cloves in a stainless bowl, inverting another stainless bowl on top, grasping the edges together and shaking up and down like crazy for a few minutes? neat if it works, eh?!

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

At the restaurant where I work, we use a lot of what we call "confited" garlic. We use whole heads of garlic, cut off the top 1/3 to expose the cloves, cover them completely with oil, and cook them very slowly (below a simmer--around 200 degrees F). This results in incredibly tender, unctuous garlic. We use it primarily in our grits and salad dressing, but it has so many great uses, including just spreading it on bread.