Key to perfect ganache

asked by Bill F over 4 years ago

MaddyBelle

Double boiler!

Funny I asked the same thing just a couple days ago - I made mine with 9 oz dark chocolate (72%) and 11 oz heavy cream - get the cream almost to a boil, then turn of the heat, start whisking in the chocolate chunk by chunk until it's smooth. Walla! I used it on millionaire bars and it was just right for the job

make that 9 oz chocolate, 10 ox cream (I just checked my recipe)

LE BEC FIN

when i use it to glaze cookies or a cake, i use equal parts dark 72% choc. and heavy cream. but if you want it slightly softer, you can usee abbie's ratio; not sacrosanct!

Nina Lombardo

Finely chop chocolate ( you can also use a food processor). Place chocolate in a large bowl. Heat cream to just under a boil. Pour cream evenly over chocolate. Let sit undisturbed for a few minutes. Slowly and gently whisk starting from the center of the bowl working your way out to the sides until the mixture is completely smooth.

nutcakes

Do you have a food processor? Try the Rose Levy Beranbaum method. I was delighted to find that using it chops the chocolate finely (it is incredibly tedious to do by hand) and blends it for you. It is very smooth and cools down quicker too. Here is a useful article that I discovered this method from:
http://ericaobrien.com/blog/2011/10/on-chocolate-ganache/

If you're going to be using it right away, you may obtain better results if you stir the chocolate and hot cream slowly and patiently with a rubber or silicone spatula. A whisk is a bit faster, but incorporates air bubbles, which aren't especially desirable in a perfectly smooth, glossy finish. If you're going to use it at a later time, go ahead and use a whisk, as the air bubbles will rise to the surface and dissipate.