🔕 🔔

Sometimes when I make pesto the basil oxidizes and the whole thing turns a really ugly dark brown/green. I wonder if it's because my food processor blade needs to be sharpened? I made it in my blender and it came out fine. Thoughts?

asked by Madame Sel over 7 years ago

445e20c3 ae7c 4384 a5f7 c63a3b70db4d  img 2825

Basil tends to oxidize if it's over-pureed. The food processor does this more quickly than the blender. I usually make pesto in my blender to avoid oxidation.

803b5ed0 1629 4947 a75d d0def427cfb1  audrey and sarah

You can blanch and dry your basil leaves before processing. Your pesto will stay a bright, lovely green.

34aa6e80 ab23 4385 90c0 a945bbab06c8  stringio

I read recently (don't recall where) that it's the water on the basil leaves that is the culprit, and so I made certain that the leaves were totally dry prior to making my next batch of pesto in the food processor. It worked - bright green pesto!

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

You can pour a little olive oil over your pesto if storing in a plastic tub.