🔕 🔔

Where to eat oysters on Long Island?

We want to get out of the city one day this weekend, maybe see the water, but definitely eat some oysters. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good oyster farm or restaurant within two hours drive of NYC? Does not have to be fancy, in fact, the more casual the better.

asked by Cristina Sciarra over 3 years ago

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

As you may know, the best oyster eateries are served at shacks during the season (April - November) in the Hampton area. I was in Bridgehampton last weekend and we usually have B, L or dinner at The American Hotel (Sag Harbor, approx.. 1 1/2 hrs. drive). There's a great unpretentious restaurant Port Washington (Louie's oyster Grille)way closer (Nassau County) than Sag Harbor. Blue Point oyster Company, the only farm I know of that's of-the-charts in quality and don't think they have a restaurant. they supply to Grand Central oyster Bar, FWIW. If you do find somewhere call for the hours of lunch - things get a tad unpredictable off season.

16f72ccb 3197 434b a946 8e9e68a3715f  cristina 014 web final

Thanks for the advice! In the end, we went to Louie's. I was sort of disappointed, as they did not really have a lot of local fish, and the waitress was very fuzzy on the provenance of what they did have.

Awww! No way! I feel terrible to recommend. I'm so very sorry : (

No worries! I'm still glad we got out of the city for a couple of hours. And I am going to get to the bottom of this oyster search! I've had great local oysters at Noah's in Greenport, but surely there must be good options a little closer to the city.